1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Bolt repair

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Paul Hellman, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Paul Hellman

Paul Hellman New Member

Aug 12, 2018
    My 18 month old Bolt is no longer outputting a signal to a TV after a thunderstorm in my area. I have two Minis that are working completely, indicating to me that all functions of the Bolt work except the output signal.
    Is there anyplace that repairs these units? My main problem is that I purchased the lifetime service for this unit, and Tivo refuses to let me swap it to a new unit.

2. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
  3. Paul Hellman

Paul Hellman New Member

Aug 12, 2018
  4. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    They may not swap it for free but won't they offer you a replacement for like $49?

5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Usually I thought they were doing replacements with a lifetime transfer for broken TiVo's for $149.

Scott

6. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    That could be. I could only find the replacement cost if you had a monthly sub. It stinks for Paul to pay that after 18 months. Most of the Tivos I've owned ran for many years but $149 is still better than the cost of new Tivo plus lifetime again.

7. Paul Hellman

Paul Hellman New Member

Aug 12, 2018
    The only thing they offered me was $200 off a new lifetime service. Sorry, but fool me once shame on you...

I am really angry with this, its not like I'm choosing to upgrade.

8. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    You seem to be blaming TiVo for a lightning strike that you failed to provide protection from.

9. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    For a while, I was thinking the same thing. But now, no. How much is Tivo saving by doing that ? My Roamio is connected to the Tivo service for about 20-30 seconds per day. On the margin, that can't cost much at all, what a few dollars, maybe pennies per year ? Hardly worth losing one customer over. Or the bad publicity involved.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  10. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Huh? How does the amount of time one is connected to TiVo have anything to do with what it costs TiVo to provide hardware, software and guide data? Do you think companies should just replace their products when they break? Will Audi give me a replacement car if someone runs into me and totals it? The OP could have easily avoided this issue by having an UPS.

11. Paul Hellman

Paul Hellman New Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Unit was plugged into surge protector. The only thing not working is the HDMI output.
    Weakness tells me unit is not repairable.
    I would understand if I was upgrading to a newer unit, but that isn’t the case here. I’m not even positive the thunderstorm played any role, I just assumed that. There was no direct lightning strike to my house.

12. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    It sounded like the customer was willing to pay to replace the equipment, the issue being transfer of the lifetime. How much does it save Tivo to have one less customer use the guide ? The "marginal cost" is not much.

13. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    I agree. Paul is willing to buy a new Tivo but come on Tivo, be reasonable about transferring lifetime on an 18 month old unit. A lesson here though is never speculate about the cause of failure and offer that to the manufacturer. You don't ever really know what caused a failure. Something else to consider is the Tivo extended warranty. If you have one and the Tivo fails, they will provide you a working Tivo with your lifetime sub on it.