TiVo Bolt Random Reboot

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Craig-Tx, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Craig-Tx

Craig-Tx New Member

Oct 6, 2015

Advertisements

I wanted to simply start this thread to get other user's experiences.

I purchased a TiVo bolt on the day it was released. In the time I have had it, (nearly a month now) I personally have seen the unit reboot about 7 - 8 times.

Today, I was watching live TV and briefly pause the show. Hit play and the unit was completely unresponsive. Video was frozen, etc. for about 30 seconds. Then the unit rebooted. Other times, I wasn't watching as closely, but happened to walk by and see the "Almost there.. just a few min more" message.

As I've said, I've seen it 7-8 times. not sure how many times it has occurred while the TV was off.

I called support and they walked through the following:
    Confirmed cable signal was good, and had me attempt to cause it to reboot while they were on the phone - no success. They decided that it was likely faulty hardware and are sending out a replacement.

Anyway, I wanted to start this thread to get a rough poll of other users. Anyone else having similar issues?

My bolt is a 500GB stock unit fed by Verizon FiOs with a cable card.

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    My Bolts were only OTA until recently. While OTA they were fine. On Monday I installed a FiOS cable card in the 4TB Bolt. So far it has been fine. The only reboot this week was from a software update.

3. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Comcast cable card, no issues so far.

4. ukwildcat4life

ukwildcat4life Member

Apr 13, 2014
    My bolt has been up since October 8th and has only reboot once for the software update.

5. tange1

tange1 New Member

Aug 24, 2010

Advertisements

Just had a reboot - I was watching a recording. No momentary freeze, just a sudden reboot.

6. Craig-Tx

Craig-Tx New Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Interesting.
    The good news is that it seems that for most people the bolt is very stable. I did get my replacement setup two days ago and haven't seen any issues yet. But it's still early.

I did notice that the new one is running cooler. In the exact same spot, the new TiVo is reporting an ODT of 63. Previous one was at 67.

Not sure where ODT is measured, but on overheating processor could certainly cause reboots.

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Out of the three Bolts I've used, one of them was noticeably hotter than the other two. It was the one I had picked up from BestBuy. It was consistently several degrees hotter than the two Bolts I got off eBay. The BestBuy Bolt went back and I only have the two ebay Bolts now.

I also noticed that whatever temp it's reporting, it made no difference with a 500GB drive or a 4TB drive in the Bolt. The temps reported were basically the same.

What does seem to raise the temp is when the video output is on and with network transfers. That is when I've always seen the Bolt at the hottest reported temp.

8. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Assuming we're talking Celsius here, 60, 70, even 80+ is well within normal for most SOC's. Do we know what hardware is in the Bolt?

9. MJM3000

MJM3000 New Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Maryland
    I really hope this isn't a consistent issue. I'm ready to order my Bolt tonight, and I'd hate to get it, add a larger HD, and then have this issue. Would a replacement be sent if I did a HD upgrade and then had an unrelated issue? Somehow I think not.

Interesting side note: Last night I was watching live TV, and my Verizon Media Server all of a sudden rebooted. This has happened a number of times in the past (far more than just software updates), but this time was different. All of my recordings were deleted! Checking online, I see some others have had this same issue. It never ends with this DVR.

Maybe I'm too hopeful for my TiVo experience, but I'm really looking forward to not having these same experiences.

10. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    I have never had an issue with my 7 year old TiVo HD's nor do I expect any with the new Bolt. With that said, I have always had them plugged into UPS's, which I recommend for any computer based appliance with mounted volumes. Especially where I live, where the power frequently goes out/fluctuates.

11. Craig-Tx

Craig-Tx New Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Well, time for a followup-
    Replacement has been rock solid for about 10 days now. Old unit was shipped back.

Ohh and to Aaronwt. The one I had a problem with was also purchased at BestBuy. I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but interesting.

12. Sc00bydu

Sc00bydu New Member

Mar 28, 2016
    I purchased a brand new Bolt 3 weeks ago. Since then it has rebooted randomly, a dozen times or more. I called TiVo customer service but they attempted to place the blame on everything else but their equipment. I asked about their warranty and found it was only 90 days...apparently they have little confidence in their own products. They did offer a 3-year extended warranty but considering having paid $400 for it, it was a slap in the face. After several forced reboot attempts, the Bolt continues its random reboots. I'm taking the thing back and buying a Channel Master. I'm done with TiVo...

13. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Put a sticker on the underside indicating the failure. You might help someone who gets it as a refurb.

14. gbshuler@yahoo.c

gbshuler@yahoo.c Clave Man

Feb 25, 2008
    Unless you bought the lifetime service plan, you should be eligible for the free extended warranty packaged with your monthly or annual service plan.

With respect solely to any TiVo BOLT or TiVo DVR which is eligible for, and on which you have obtained, either an annual service plan or a monthly service plan (but not an All-In Plan): your service plan includes, at no additional charge, an enhanced limited warranty (known as "Continual Care") for the full, uninterrupted duration of your annual or monthly TiVo service subscription. With Continual Care, and for a cost of $49.00 (plus shipping and any applicable taxes) after ninety (90) days from your purchase date, you can exchange a defective or inoperative TiVo BOLT or TiVo DVR for a repaired, renewed or comparable product (at TiVo's discretion). The exchange exclusions and restrictions contained in the TiVo DVR Limited Warranty continue to apply; please visit Limited Warranty Info for details.

15. Mike Malter

Mike Malter Computer Mutt

Dec 25, 2000
    San Rafael, CA
    My TiVo Bolt reboots a lot. No particular pattern; sometimes I'm going to a different tuner, other times it can be something different.

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That doesn't sound good. Neither Bolt I have reboots unless there is a software update or I initiate it. And I have the 4TB Seagate drives in my Bolts.

The Bolt in this room has been up for over 2.5 million seconds. And that box was rebooted back then because I had to give access to the window behind my UHD setup. For Thompson Creek Windows to try and fix an issue. So everything was powered down.

They are coming back out with the correct size item(hopefully) next Friday. So I will need to power everything down again.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  17. Mike Malter

Mike Malter Computer Mutt

Dec 25, 2000
    San Rafael, CA
    I'm going to call Weak Knees on Monday. How warm does your Bolt get? I have mine on a second shelf so not all the heat dissipates, but it's not too hot to touch. I wonder if it's a heat issue.

18. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    I was able to solve this problem by replacing my surge protector. Based on responses I've seen on these forums, some or all Bolts are much more sensitive to surges and other interference on the power lines than other models. Every home is different, so of course your experience may vary, but for many of us the Bolt seems to require a better surge protector than most models. My old protector was really good, but it may have gotten too old because my problems went away after I replaced it. See the thread I linked to above.

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've always had my TiVos on a UPS. Since a surge protector won't do much when the power goes out for a split second.

20. mickrussom

mickrussom Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Ive had a few reboots here and there. Usually Ill be waiting for a show data to come back or the UI will put up that white/blue circle wait thing and then poof, reboot.