Tivo Bolt Random Pixelation on Playback, but Not on Replay of Exact Same Scene

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by webfoot17, Oct 2, 2019.

1. webfoot17

webfoot17 New Member

Nov 15, 2018

Advertisements

I have a 500GB Tivo Bolt VOX with Comcast Cable. Live TV is perfect, but during playback of recordings, at random intervals from 10 to 30 minutes apart, the playback video will pixelate for a couple seconds (audio is unaffected) and go back to normal. The odd part is that if I hit the Replay button and play back the exact same instance of the recording that just pixelated, it plays perfectly fine the second time with no pixelation at all.

This happens to recordings made on multiple channels. I have two Tivo minis connected to this Bolt that do _not_ exhibit the same problem on playback. I have tested the Bolt on two different televisions with the same random pixelation results. I have tried attenuating the signal as suggested in other posts, but it's still occurring. Signal Strength: 87% SNR: 35dB. I've also done the basics: reseat the cable card, reboot the Tivo, check cables, etc.

Any idea on what could be causing this strange behavior? Thanks!

renee312 likes this.
  2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Since it does not repeat with a rewind, it's not in the content. Easy to change the HDMI cable, so start there. Your signal levels are great. It's not the cable card. Every month I reset the TiVo, which includes remove & replace the HDMI cable connector (with power off) that feeds my AVR. It's a small thing, but you might try a fixed single output resolution of 1080i since 90% of your content is probably 1080i. Yes, it is strange behavior.

I get my cables from Monoprice.com and have never had a problem.

3. webfoot17

webfoot17 New Member

Nov 15, 2018
    Thanks, I've tried multiple HDMI cables and even a second TV set with no luck, but I'll try your idea of resetting the Tivo monthly to see if that lessens the issue.
    If anyone else has experienced this issue, please let me know. I can't find anything on it since if it were the signal or the original recording, the playback and the "replay" (via the button) would both glitch at the same spot, and they would also glitch on the minis.

renee312 and JoeKustra like this.
  4. JandS

JandS Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 1, 2010
    East of Seattle
    Could the folks here comment on whether random pixellation like the OP is describing could be caused by a failing or inadequate power supply on the Bolt?

A previous thread here talked about the power supply (albeit in connection with a different problem) and mentioned a stronger replacement power supply:

3TB Bolt hard drive gone after just 1 1/2 years!

5. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland

Advertisements

Power supply or hard drive are the primary guesses for something like this.

JandS likes this.
  6. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    My 2 cents worth. I have had similar experiences in different TiVos and have different solutions. One was getting a power brick with more amperage and good EMI filtering. Another was putting everything on a UPC. One was solved by relocating the Unit away from another electronic device. There still on rare occasions that it will still happen and my only guess then is that the CPU's attention was focused on some other task and that decoding video was briefly lagging.

7. renee312

renee312 New Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Having same issue, did all the same troubleshooting but also did a hard drive scan. Passed.

Mine started after the FCC repacking. Higher dbs now, but attenuating so far has not helped.

Am going to test the stations directly through TV and see if it handles signal better, as suggested by our antenna installer who wants to blame the tuner in our Roamio.

Just found more info here:
    Fox Pixelation on Tivo Bolt OTA AND DirecTV

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  8. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Last time I saw this the HDD was failing in my S1 TiVo.