Tivo Bolt overheating?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by missdona, Jun 3, 2017.

1. missdona

missdona Member

Apr 19, 2004

Advertisements

It seems as if my new TiVo Bolt is overheating. We replaced the stock hard drive with the Toshiba and it was working pretty well. It's frozen up a couple of times but sprung back pretty easily. It always happens when playing a video via the Amazon app.

It's in a cabinet, on top of a dvd player, the way our old TiVos were. Is this the fan issue that's being spoken about in the other threads? Do we need to do a fan replacement? Could someone dumb this down for me please?

2. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    What is the ODT reading?

3. missdona

missdona Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I had it offline for like an hour until it was cool to the touch. It's showing 67 ODT. Thank you @waynomo

4. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    If it is 67 while normally running, that is pretty normal.

5. missdona

missdona Member

Apr 19, 2004

Advertisements

Today it's at 73. We watched a movie on the Amazon app and then netflix and now it's just on TV.

A few times the screen has gone black and it's shut down when gone black while using the Amazon app. It was so warm to touch while it was shut down, I figured it was overheating. But I could be wrong.

6. genebopp

genebopp Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I have had the amazon lock up a few times in the last few days. Once on a bolt and once on a mini. Maybe amazon was the problem.

7. KyleLC

KyleLC Unregistered User

Feb 6, 2002
    Sugar Land, TX
    Mine has randomly gone black and rebooted while watching a recording. It's happened twice so far -- today and a day or two ago. Both times I have checked the temperature immediately afterwards, and it was normal, like 67 or less.

I have the Toshiba hard drive in mine as well. Could it be using a little too much power and causing the random reboot?

8. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I used to think the Bolt had a 2A power supply like the Roamio, but apparently it has had a 3A power supply since the beginning, so I think from a power standpoint the power supply should be fine. It can handle 36W and the Bolt uses something like 13W. I doubt the Toshiba would get it beyond 15W so there is plenty of capacity to handle everything.

It could still be a power supply problem, but not because the power supply didn't have enough head room, but because it is malfunctioning. Usually, but not always, you can see this by using a voltmeter as the voltage will drop below 12V even without load. I would think this is a long shot on a relatively new bolt. It usually takes years for something like that to crop up.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    KyleLC likes this.
  9. KJN

KJN Member

Feb 24, 2019
    Boston area
    My bolt was running at 65 to 67c. I took off the cablecard door and raised the Bolt on 1" blocks, the temp dropped to 58c. I then put a little USB fan in back, blowing over the Bolt, temp now 47.