TivO Bolt OTA failed Case 09503827

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by AZ_Curt, May 11, 2020.

1. AZ_Curt

AZ_Curt New Member

Mar 31, 2020
    I Purchased my Bolt last June and started having problems with it about a couple weeks ago. Channels started disappearing. So I began to research the problem as well as opened the above ticket number. A search on these forums reveals this is a known issue.

Here are my findings and what I advised Support of.

This antenna/coax configuration produced 90% or higher signal strength on two TV's and an SiliconDust HD-Homerun OTA device.
    I found the coax connector on the BOLT was hot to the touch.
    After being unplugged for a few hours the missing channels returned.
    Adding an external cooling fan prolonged the loss of the channels, but they still died.
    Being an amateur radio operator I noticed spurious emissions on some 440Mhz frequencies which were tracked to the Tivo Box.
    The emissions died when the lost channels were unable to be revived by any means.

Here is the reply from TiVo In short it is not their problem and they refuse to do anything about it.

Hello Curtis,

Thank you for contacting TiVo Email Support.

We appreciate for responding. Upon checking, your TiVo box is not getting the enough amount of signal required for you to have a good reception. I would greatly advice to get an antenna signal booster to increase the amount of signal you will get from your antenna.

The Case Number for this inquiry is 09503827.

Sincerely,
    Kevin

TiVo Customer Support Representative
    www.tivo.com/support
    http://forums.tivo.com

Flame away.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You probably blew their minds.

I'd call in and provide much less detail and steer them towards replacing it for you. They're fairly prone to offering a replacement, even if they'd bill you for a couple dollars.

Back up your OnePasses and Channels List with KMTTG prior to shutting the old one down for the last time.

-KP

tommage1 likes this.
  3. AZ_Curt

AZ_Curt New Member

Mar 31, 2020
    I will try again, but I wanted actual documentation from their tech support and their company line concerning this known issue prior to proceeding. And thanks for the tip on backing everything up. I only have a month left on my plan so we shall see. Sad thing is, what a way to treat a new customer with a brand new service.

4. AZ_Curt

AZ_Curt New Member

Mar 31, 2020
    Well, I finally convinced their support to send a replacement, sort of. Problem is, every time they went to confirm the Fed Ex shipping address I was "disconnected" and had to call back. This has become a never ending cycle. A rinse and repeat operation so to speak.

If we can ever stay connected long enough, the options I have are to pay (in rounded numbers) $300 to have them ship a replacement to me immediately; and when the defective unit is received I should expect a refund of $250 in 10 business days.

OR

Pay $50 up front, ship the defective unit to them and wait for them to send a replacement. Which could take weeks to get here.

The kicker is I will be returning an 11 month old defective unit in, and can receive any piece of crap refurbished equipment they have laying around, when ever they get abound to sending it to me.

What a way to run a business.

5. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    It seems you have a monthly plan. IMO not worth the trouble, you can buy used Bolts without lifetime for $50 or less. Would not even consider the $300 option for a device without lifetime. Maybe the $50 option if they pay shipping both ways, if not maybe buy a used one, off ebay or locally if possible, as I said probably under $50. Or can get a lifetime used Bolt for $200-300....................