TIVO BOLT - No Signal with Vizio TV (model # VO370M)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Fronz2U, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Fronz2U

Fronz2U New Member

Jun 24, 2017
    I recently bought a TiVo-renewed BOLT 500 GB from TIVO to replace my series 3 box using my Vizio TV and an HDMI cable.

Note - Each time the Vizio TV is turned on, it takes about 15 seconds for the screen to display.

The issue I am having is that once I turn off the TV and turn it back on whether it is a minute later or 3 hours later I get a no signal message (when the screen finally displays).

I can resolve this only by doing any one of the following When the TV is on.

1) Unplug the HDMI cable from the Tivo and plugging it back in.
    2) Cycling through the inputs on the TV (HDMI-1, 2 ,3, TV, AV1, AV2, RGB, COMP1, COMP2 and back to HDMI-1
    3) reboot the TIVO.

This will also work - When turning on the TV - if I continually click on the Live TV button (like 60 times) as I am waiting for the screen to display.

Once I do that the BOLT works fine until I turn off the TV and then later turn it back on.

The BOLT works perfectly with my other TV and my TIVO Premiere and Series 3 work perfectly with the Vizio TV.

For some reason it seems that there is an issue with the BOLT and the 15 seconds it takes for my Vizio TV to "turn on" where the HDMI signal is "lost" and only works when the TV is already on and I basically (1) re-initialize the signal by plugging the HDMI cable back in (2) cycle through the inputs until I get back to the HDMI the TIVO is associated with or (3) reboot the TIVO.

I would prefer not to have to do any of the 4 resolutions each and every time I turn on the Vizio TV nor do I want to use swap TIVO boxes so that the Vizio box uses the premiere.

Could it be the TIVO BOLT itself or is there something different about the way the TIVO BOLT works as compared to the premiere and the series 3.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Have you tried another HDMI cable, perhaps a 2.0.

3. Fronz2U

Fronz2U New Member

Jun 24, 2017
    I have tried another HDMI cable as well as a different HDMI port. I have not tried a 2.0 HDMI cable (that I know of). I believe the issue has something to do with the way the BOLT does any handshaking with the HDMI signal as compared to the Series 3 and the Premiere in relation to the Vizio TV. I would venture to say that if the Vizio TV "initialized" faster (in other words Powered up quicker) this would not be an issue. However - why would the older model TIVOs work but not the BOLT?

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Have you set the Bolt for a single output resolution? I also picked up one of the Bolt 500GB models with that promotion and have it on an older Vizio upstairs (waiting to send it to my son off at college) and have not seen this.

Scott

5. Fronz2U

Fronz2U New Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Hi Scott,

If you are referring to the video output format I have it set to 1080I. If it is something else then I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Question - When you turn on your Visio TV - how many seconds pass before the picture shows up? If it is less than say 9 seconds I would think that your model "initializes quicker and is not an issue". If it does take 10 seconds or more then maybe I have a slightly defective BOLT.

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If it might be the resolution, you can try 720p as an older TV may not support 1080i or 1080p.

7. Phil Broughton

Phil Broughton New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    San Diego

8. Phil Broughton

Phil Broughton New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    San Diego
    My Vizio is the XVT323SV (? 2010...) and worked perfectly with the Premiere. Using the cable that came with the Bolt this same problem occurred 'frequently'. When I switched to an older Amazon brand cable, the problem occurs every so often. Switching inputs once or more usually fixes it.

9. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
  10. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    It takes 9 seconds to get to the picture for us as well (5-6 seconds to get to the V logo). This one is an older E321VT model though that we had bought our son for his dorm room (2012).

Scott

11. Suncoast

Suncoast New Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Tampa Bay,...
    I also have a Vizio display that has problems with my Bolt+. Once I get the everything up, I go into the video settings on the Bolt and manually DISable 480I, 720I and 1080I, and ENable 1080P, and set 720P as the default. To disable a setting, you have to ignore the confirmation you can see the picture and let it time out to the next picture. Same as the 4K settings.

I also found it is better not to put the Tivo asleep, and I have mine on a UPS. And it doesn't help that the Vizio remote is disabled for 10 seconds after turning on the display. Maybe this will work for you too. Only problem is, every time the Tivo loses power, it forgets these display settings and you have to do it again. Sometimes it will work in Interlaced mode, but I get weird green distortions on the screen. Since this only happens on my Vizio, I've assumed it is a problem with the Vizio.

12. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    In your sequence of turning things off/on, have you tried putting TiVo in standby when you turn your TV off, then when you turn your TV on, have the macro in your remote wait the 15 seconds for your TV to initialize, then take TiVo out of standby?

13. Fronz2U

Fronz2U New Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Hi sfhub - I have not tried that. Could you provide more detail on setting the macro in my remote to wait 15 seconds before taking the TIVO out of standby. I am assuming you are talking about the TIVO remote as that is what I use to turn on my TV. Is there a way for the remote to turn on the TV - wait 15 seconds and then take the TIVO out of standy?