TiVo Bolt+ New MoCA setup to Premier XL4I

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Les Bartiromo, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Les Bartiromo

Les Bartiromo New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Connecticut

Advertisements

I just got a new TiVo Bolt+ and want to move my Premier XL4 to a bedroom with no ethernet or coax ports. I want to setup a MoCA network and need to know what wires to run to the bedroom. I use DSL for Internet and use WiFi to connect to the Internet/TiVo service.

I figure I can run coax from the cable outlet to the TiVo Bolt+ Then a CAT6 cable to the Premier XL4. My question is does the CAT6 cable need to go to the router or can I connect it directly between the two TiVos?

Thanks,
    Les

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Putting aside networking concerns for the moment, wouldn't coax runs be required for both of these devices, since they are both CableCARD-only DVRs? (Assuming you were looking to be able to watch live TV and record on both.)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  3. Les Bartiromo

Les Bartiromo New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yes, I want to watch live TV and record on both.

Running coax into the bedroom is what I original thought as well but in talking to TiVo support they said all I need is MoCA. I'm not sure they understood the scope of my question.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Given your response, that you want to use both DVRs to record content, I am certain that they didn't understand the scope of your question. You'll need coax runs to each DVR, connected back to your cable TV provider's signal, along with a CableCARD supplied by your provider in each of the DVRs.

As for networking...

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

As for networking the DVRs, you have a number of options... starting with just sticking with a wireless connection for each of them, so long as you're OK with not being able to stream recorded content between the 2 DVRs. TiVo Multi-Room Viewing (MRV) allows transfer of recorded shows between DVRs, not streaming, but can be achieved via a lower bandwidth connection; if you want to stream recorded or recording content between the DVRs, or add TiVo Minis to the mix, then you're talking about Multi-Room Streaming (MRS), for which a wired network connection between the devices is officially required. (see here: MRV requirements and limitations; MRS requirements)

As for how to provide a wired network connection for your DVRs, Ethernet, MoCA or a mix of both is acceptable and would largely be determined by what connections currently exist or can be added in each room, including the room in which your DSL modem & router are located. To that end...
    • Referring back to the previous post, will each DVR be connected to your cable TV provider's signal, via the same coax lines?
    • Can Ethernet be extended to either DVR location?
    • If Ethernet can't be extended to either DVR, does the router room or some other Ethernet-connected room also have a coax outlet that is or can be connected to the same coax lines as your DVRs?
    'gist: Assuming each DVR is connected via coax back to your cable TV provider's point-of-entry (PoE) to your home, either of your DVRs is capable of creating a MoCA network if you can also get an Ethernet connection to that DVR's location. The other DVR could then be configured as a MoCA client, configured to "Connect using MoCA." If neither of your DVRs can create your MoCA network, then you'd need a standalone MoCA adapter installed somewhere that it can be connected to both your router's Ethernet LAN and to the same coax lines as your DVRs. However your MoCA network is created, you'd also want to get a MoCA filter installed at the PoE, and may need to review your connecting coax components (splitters, amps) for MoCA compatibility. See here for more info on the PoE MoCA filter: Why? and How?

Of course, if you can extend Ethernet to both DVR locations, MoCA isn't needed.

edit: p.s. See also: TiVo's How to Connect Your TiVo Box to Your Home Network

6. Les Bartiromo

Les Bartiromo New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Connecticut
    Since I have to run coax to the bedroom I figured I might as well run CAT6 as well. My question is must I connect my CAT6 from Bolt-to-router-to-Premier or can I go straight from Bolt-to-Premier and get my Internet to access the TiVo service via WiFi?

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This was answered in the previous post. Or at least I thought it was.

Your replies indicate that you'll have coax to both DVR locations plus Ethernet to the XL4's new location, meeting the requirements as stated in my previous post for the XL4 to create your MoCA network (via the "Use this DVR to create a MoCA network" configuration option) -- to which the BOLT+ would simply connect as a MoCA client *over the coax lines* ("Connect using MoCA"). Wi-Fi would no longer be used by either of your TiVos.

8. Les Bartiromo

Les Bartiromo New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Connecticut
    I hate to be thick headed but the guide on both TiVos would be updated via Ethernet running from my DSL router, correct? Also, do I have to put some kind of filter on my PoE to keep the MoCA signal from back feeding to my cable company?

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The BOLT+ will have no direct Ethernet connection to the router; it will be networked via MoCA (i.e. coax).

Per your previous replies, the XL4 will connect to your router via Ethernet and will act as your network's MoCA access point, establishing your MoCA network and bridging traffic between the MoCA and Ethernet segments. The BOLT+ will be networked via MoCA/coax and so will communicate with your router and the Internet via your MoCA bridge, the XL4 -- with traffic flowing over coax between the XL4 and the BOLT+, and any Internet communication to/from the BOLT+ passing through the XL4's bridge.

To be clear, both devices will therefore have wired network connections to your router, through which they'll communicate with the TiVo service.

Per previous post...

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Not that it will matter relative to your Internet connectivity requirements since 100 Mbps is more than adequate for the job, but the one downside of your proposed setup is that the XL4 is an inferior MoCA bridge relative to the BOLT+, owing to the BOLT+'s Gigabit Ethernet interface.
    Code:
    MoCA 1.1 link between XL4 and BOLT+ ==>  140+ Mbps
    XL4 Ethernet interface              ==>  100  Mbps
    BOLT+ Ethernet interface            ==> 1000  Mbps

With resulting throughput from each DVR to the router...

... with the XL4 as the MoCA bridge:
    Code:
    XL4:   100 Mbps
    BOLT+: 100 Mbps
    ... with the BOLT+ as the MoCA bridge (requiring the BOLT+ connected via Ethernet to GigE LAN port on router):
    Code:
    XL4:    140+ Mbps
    BOLT+: 1000  Mbps
    This throughput difference would be felt more if you do much in the way of offloading of content to PCs or laptops. As mentioned, the change would have little noticeable effect on the Internet-related functionality of your devices.

11. Les Bartiromo

Les Bartiromo New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Connecticut
    In that case I'll wire my router to my Bolt+. It's clear to me now. I guess I didn't understand how a MoCA setup would work through a splitter but I've ordered a 2300 MHz MoCA splitter which should work well. Thanks for the wealth of information and education!

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Happy to be of theoretical help.

Great news if you can string an Ethernet cable to the BOLT+ location. The MoCA connection between the DVRs will keep the TiVo-to-TiVo traffic off your Ethernet LAN, and the Premiere will actually have better throughput to the router via the BOLT+'s MoCA bridge (140+Mbps) than if the Premiere were connected via Ethernet (100 Mbps max).

Good luck...!