Tivo Bolt MoCa Setup Issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Ryan Burg, Jan 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ryan Burg

Ryan Burg New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Hello! I am a newer Tivo user, and consider myself somewhat tech savvy but I am having issues with setting up my Tivo Bolt as a Moca Bridge and was hoping to get some help.

My Tivo Setup:

• Tivo Bolt - 500 GB - Set up by myself
    • Cable runs from Wall to Splitter (5-2.4Ghz) - This splits to cable modem & Tivo
    • Cable modem connects to Router, and Tivo is hardwired via Ethernet to Router
    • I just purchased a Tivo Mini and I plan on using that as a Moca client & the Bolt as a Bridge
    Error/Issue
    • When trying to set the Bolt up as a Bridge, I get the C33 Error

Troubleshooting Steps Taken:
    • Checked Cables - Ethernet & Coax to ensure they are connected properly
      • I am getting cable TV and internet connection right now so I know they are working
    • Powercycled the DVR
    • Called Tivo Support - They told me that the Splitter I had Originally set up (1000 mhz) was causing the problem because it needed to be at least 1650 mhz. I went to Home Depot and bought a 2.4 GHz and this has not resolved the problem.
    • I contacted my cable company, Armstrong, who has partnered with Tivo on their own boxes (mfg by Pace) and asked them if they would set this up for me but they have declined since its not an Armstrong box.
      • Side Note: I save about $15 a month by not using their Tivo Set up.
    • I do not have any Moca filters or POE filters installed at this point.
    Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Other Resources

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    That error code on the Bolt is a bug in their latest firmware, try to ignore it and just go on to the mini and use the "connect to a MoCA network" setting. The splitter you bought is likely no better for MoCA than the original as far as MoCA frequencies are concerned. The only brands of splitters which are actually MoCA rated, available retail, and truly optimized for MoCA. These are the Verizon and Holland brands, usually available online via Ebay, Amazon, or here for the Holland brand, Cable and Satellite Tools - Distributor of Tools for CATV, Satellite, Home Theater, Security, Telecom These same folks sell a MoCA filter for $3.69, get one. MoCA POE (Point of Entry) and Whole Home DVR filters are functionally the same, get one.
    The MoCA filter should be installed on the input of the first splitter to enter your home...."POE".
    If you run into further problems, a diagram or sketch of your coax setup would help a lot.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What fcfc2 saiid...
    See also these posts: Major problem with 2 new Bolts ; Major problem with 2 new Bolts ; C33 Moca Error

... and this post over on the official TiVo user forums summarizing the known MoCA-related issues associated with the 20.6.3 release and the HD UI updates for the BOLT:

Re:BOLT BUG: Updated HD UI on BOLT incorrectly reporting C33 | TiVo Troubleshooting | TiVo Help Forums
    p.s. Please feel free to point TiVo Support to their own user forum to let them know about the various issues. (I don't own a BOLT.)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Note also that NO MoCA device (that I'm aware of) will ever indicate a "thumbs up" regarding MoCA status... at least until there are at least 2 MoCA devices connected to the coax. So, even if TiVo hadn't mucked-up the BOLT's HD UI w/ this latest release and you *could* see the MoCA stats on the BOLT, the MOCA status on the BOLT would report as "down" until you added at least one MoCA client to the coax.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017