TIVO Bolt Incompatible with TCL TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by mobouser, Oct 15, 2019.

1. mobouser

mobouser Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Albany Area...
    Just hooked up a TiVo BOLT VOX 1TB to a 43" UHD 4K tv #43S423 thru HDMI but I don't get a signal. I tried my Roamio OTA and bingo works great. Since everything is networked I guess it don't matter to me. It is a nice inexpensive TV so I cant complain much. Tried the one code for my remote from TIVO and that did not work. Found another code in the forum code history that did #1264 or 0999. Im curious if others had this issue with TCL TVs.

2. Jeff Thompson

Jeff Thompson New Member

Dec 5, 2016
    I have a TCL Roku TV and it works great with my Bolt+...

Beryl likes this.
  3. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    My Roamio and Bolt both work fine with my TCL Roku TV (55”, 2016 version).

4. Wayoverpar1

Wayoverpar1 Member

May 19, 2017
    Coeur d'...
    I have a TCL Roku 4k that works perfectly with my Bolt. I would suggest getting a new high speed HDMI cable rated up to 18Gbps and re-install the Bolt.

5. mobouser

mobouser Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Albany Area...
    Thanks took your advice just ordered new HDMI cables. I had older cables and this is our first 4K TV. Other than that the TV works great with the Roamio very good picture and sound well worth the price.

6. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    Bolts can be finicky with HDMI cables. Did you try the one that came with it? Otherwise, Wayoverpar1's suggestion is a good one.

7. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    My dad's Bolt quit working with a TCL. It's the 2019 65" version. It's always been finicky, but now we just get no signal. My guess is a recent update, because it works fine on another TV (and the Apple TV works fine with the same port/same cable on the TCL). I'm about to give up on Tivo.

Edit: And we've tried many cables.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  8. Wigohwt

Wigohwt Member

Jun 9, 2019
    Have you tried the Bolt with other HDMI Ports on the TV?

Also, try limiting the Bolt video settings to just 720P (No Auto ever), and work up from there.

9. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    My 2017 TCL is working fine with my Bolt+. My TCL has been finicky as well but if it ever stops working, I’ll likely give up on TCL and keep my TiVos.

kpeters59 likes this.
  10. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    We've tried both ports (the ARC port is hooked up to a Beam, and has to stay on it). And I've had him take it to another tv, set the output to 1080p, and still nothing on the TCL. Although I don't know if the Tivo is smart enough to do per-device settings.

He loves the TV (and you can get a really nice 65" TCL for much less than other brands), and he's on his second one from Best Buy (because of all the handshake issues before). The handshake issues persisted between TVs, so it's definitely NOT the TV. This is the first time there's just no signal no matter what we've tried. He was already a bit fed up b/c the signal would go to a test pattern/grey screen multiple times a day. And again, an Apple TV and a Firestick have 0 issues (on the same port, with the same cable...). We even tried a HDMI splitter since that was suggested in a few other threads, but still just stuck at No Signal with the Bolt.

11. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    We've tried other ports, and the settings trick.