Tivo Bolt (Hydra) Upgrade 1TB to 6TB. Guidance request.

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Herb EN, Sep 15, 2020 at 10:59 PM.

1. Herb EN

Herb EN New Member

Sep 3, 2020

Advertisements

I am looking for a command by command (a la "step by step") summary to copy my original 1 TB Tivo Bolt drive to a 6 TB WD Purple. I have the MSFTools 3.32 devel bootable FD downloaded from post #131. I am a little confuse as to whether the copy command automatically expands/adds the partitions needed to make full use of the 6 TB.

So, I boot up my PC using the MSFTools 3.32 FD without any internal drives connected and then connect my source drive (original Tivo 1 TB) and my target drive (WD 6 TB Purple) to the two PC mb drive connectors (0 and 1) using SATA cables. I am familiar with PC's and Windows but not a real computer jockey so be explicit, I am not familiar with Linux and have long since forgotten using commands in DOS (the 80's are blurry). I have been GUI disabled. I know buried in these threads somewhere is the procedure but I am never sure if I am using the same tool or if the old post is still valid. What is the recommended procedure and commands to get me where I want to be? I thank you in advance.

Also, I regret having upgraded to TE4 Hydra (no PC file transfer). I have read that you can downgrade. If you downgrade, does it wipe out your recordings?

2. Herb EN

Herb EN New Member

Sep 3, 2020
    I have disconnected all my HDs from my PC, connected the TiVo Bolt 1 TB drive to the 0 MB SATA connector, and booted off the MFSTools FD. I did not connect the new target drive yet. Baby steps. Before the login I am getting error messages, I login in anyway, which works, and then try the "lsblk -o,name,size,vendor" command to verify where my TiVo original drive is and it does not work. See the screen shot.
    upload_2020-9-17_0-55-32.jpeg
    Did not go further without verifying the drive location. Can someone let me know what is happening and what to do?
    Hoping to make another attempt tomorrow night. I know zip about linux so I would really appreciate some input. Thanks in advance

3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I'd suggest posting in the thread provided above.

-KP