TiVo Bolt Horrible playback and reception

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by llclark22, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Oct 4, 2017 #1 of 31
    llclark22

llclark22 New Member

Sep 29, 2017
    We have cut the cord and bought a TiVo Bolt in order to record live digital broadcasts. However, I see that there is a restrictor on the unit that keeps the signal at 72%. We now have HORRIBLE reception and can barely watch any recording and even live tv is freezing up. I bought a rooftop antenna with 70-mile range with very little terrain between us and the towers around 30 miles away. Is there ANY way to change the settings to eliminate the restriction of 72%? I am getting nearly 100% on a television connected to the same antenna in another room. The signal to the TV without the TiVo is quite high as well. I am about ready to take the TiVo back and rough it with Hulu and Netflix and just miss out on live TV! :(

2. Oct 4, 2017 #2 of 31
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    A TV only has a single tuner, while the Bolt has 4 tuners to record from. It is not being restricted, but its like its split into 4 signals for each of the 4 tuners.

3. Oct 4, 2017 #3 of 31
    compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Correct. You are not being restricted to 72. You need to check your SNR on your tivo. That will tell you if you are having signal problems. You may need a pre amp

4. Oct 4, 2017 #4 of 31
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Or maybe they're already amp'd and the signal is too hot. What about trying a 2-way or greater splitter before the BOLT's input to attenuate the signal?

5. Oct 4, 2017 #5 of 31
    llclark22

llclark22 New Member

Sep 29, 2017
    The single coax cable comes into a signal booster that came with the TiVo. Would I split it before that? It is already split after the booster to send to another television in another room. The SNR readings are all 27 dB up to 29 dB so I don't think that is the problem.

basprint likes this.
  6. Oct 4, 2017 #6 of 31
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    SNR is considered a little low. SNR = Signal to noise ratio.

Tivo does not come with a signal booster. Tivo splits the signal internally to each of the tuners. Can you try without that booster connected?

7. Oct 4, 2017 #7 of 31
    compnurd

Oct 6, 2011
    The bolt on its own does not come with a signal booster. Not sure where that booster came from 27 is a little on the fringe for the SNR and you will see breakups when it drops below 25

8. Oct 4, 2017 #8 of 31
    llclark22

llclark22 New Member

Sep 29, 2017
    How can I get the SNR higher? I will try to connect without the external booster. It came with the TiVo unit. It receives the coax with one input and sends the signal to TV through one output. It plugs into a 110 outlet.

9. Oct 4, 2017 #9 of 31
    compnurd

Oct 6, 2011
    I think you are referring to a pre amp that comes with the antenna. The tivo does not come its a booster

I would try the antenna straight connected to the bolt. No splitters at all which it sounds like you have there. You may need a distribution amp

10. llclark22

llclark22 New Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Yes, actually you are right. It is a pre-amp, not a booster. I will connect the cable direct to the Bolt and see if it improves the SNR

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    And if you find routing the antenna directly into the BOLT gets your signal strength and SNR into a workable range, know that you don't need your raw antenna signal routed over to that other TV... since you could, instead, put a TiVo Mini there and provide that TV with a nearly identical experience to what you'll have at the main DVR.

12. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The "restrictor" is call AGC. All basic Roamio and Bolt units use it. You are viewing System Information. A different view is checking Settings & Messages, Channel Settings, Signal Strength. This shows the actual signal and you can watch it settle at 72% as AGC kicks in. If your signal is over 72, then the AGC circuit has maxed out and your signal can get too strong. For OTA, SNR is good enough when your picture is good enough. I've seen postings with SNR numbers that vary greatly. With cable not so much.

13. llclark22

llclark22 New Member

Sep 29, 2017
    I have connected the cable directly to the splitter going to the televisions and the SNR actually dropped significantly (down to about 16 dB) When I plug the pre-amp back in, it goes back up to about 26 or 27 dB. Right now we do have inclement weather but the signal strength is still up to about 68-72. What can be done to increase the SNR with a pre-amp already plugged in?

14. compnurd

Oct 6, 2011
    Try adjusting the antenna

15. llclark22

llclark22 New Member

Sep 29, 2017
    I aligned the antenna with a compass pointing as close to the listed coordinates as possible and adjusted to the strongest signal when I put the antenna up last weekend. I am getting a signal in the 90's on my TV in another room.

16. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    It is also possible your Bolt has bad tuners. It is rare, but I've seen some people with bad tuners recently, but those were Bolt+ units.

17. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
  18. llclark22

llclark22 New Member

Sep 29, 2017
    OK, so an update. I have fixed some issues here to the best of my ability however now, I am getting an RS Uncorrected reading over 2000 on my Tuner 2. All the rest of the tuners are "0" and "0" for corrected and uncorrected. My picture quality on this channel becomes pixilated several times during the broadcast. On the support site, it says there is a cable problem when this happens. Is this the case?

19. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Are all the Tuners on the same channel? The way to do that is tune to one channel on LiveTV, then reboot.

If those are all the same channel, there is probably hardware issue with your tuner and you should get the unit replaced.

20. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Do what @sfhub suggested. Also, a basic Roamio and a Bolt do not display RS Corrected errors. File that away.