TIVO Bolt HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by joker2008, Apr 5, 2019.

1. joker2008

joker2008 New Member

Mar 23, 2019

Advertisements

Have a new Tivo Bolt and took out the drive and put in the drive from my old bolt. The bolt does not format it although supposedly they tell you any drive that goes in a bolt is immediately formatted. I am guessing this because it has Tivo software on it. If I am not keeping anything on the drive can I just format using windows tools or do I have to format with msftools? Before anyone asks I am formatting because I get a software downgrade detected. Now if there is an easier way to format that drive without taking it out of the box I'm all ears

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Probably using Windows Diskpart to 'clean' the drive is the best way to go.

-KP

3. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I like to use the Write Zeros test in WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostics because it shows all your drives and the serial numbers. Diskpart can be really dangerous unless you're already familiar with it.

ClearToLand and kpeters59 like this.
  4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Reset the drive with a Clear & Delete Everything?

dianebrat likes this.
  5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish

Advertisements

Yep, in general a drive from the same model Tivo into another unit will not reformat but as @krkaufman suggests a C&DE should work if you already have it in the case.

krkaufman likes this.
  6. joker2008

joker2008 New Member

Mar 23, 2019
    So yes I took it out of the old bolt and already put it into the new bolt. I would love to do a clear and delete everything but I don't think I can unless there is a function on the remote I am not aware of. After putting my other drive into the new bolt I powered it up and got a message stating software downgrade detected. Its a all red screen with the message at the top. I tried to do a power cycle I get the TiVo logo and then a blue screen with a message saying just a bit longer then it goes to the red screen with the software downgrade message. To my knowledge from that screen I can pretty much do nothing. Again unless there is a way I am unaware of which is definitely possible.

7. joker2008

joker2008 New Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I was looking into mfstools which while does not seem that difficult does seem a little extraneous and little more complicated as it looks like you have to boot to a Linux image and do from there. I would prefer to be able to accomplish it via the box without having to take the drive out again but if I can't do it via the TiVo box itself I was looking for the simplest way to hopefully do it via windows. Again not trying to save anything off the drive.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If C&DE isn’t possible, the best solution is to pull the drive and follow @ggieseke’s advice.
    After the 0s write, you should be able to put the drive back into the BOLT and it’ll be formatted. (Drives larger than 3TB need some add’l assistance.)

jrtroo and ggieseke like this.