tivo bolt hard drive upgrade woes

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by thelizard_king, Sep 13, 2019 at 9:13 PM.

1. thelizard_king

thelizard_king New Member

Aug 28, 2019
    So, I just bought a 500gb tivo bolt at best buy about 3 weeks ago. I got it up and running to make sure that everything worked. I had to coach the suddenlink tech though getting the cable card paired and that took most of day. But it all worked well and I used the tivo for about a week to make sure that everything was 100% functional.

I ordered this 4gb drive as was recomended on ross walker's site: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...oa-20&linkId=9d1874041f5776bccd9ecf351833a891

I followed the tutorial on this youtube video:

After I got the tivo fired up, I was pretty stoked to see that I now have 639 hours of recording time available!

The cable card pairing screen did however come up. I called suddenlink to repair the cable card.

They had some sort of system outage. I called back several times over the past 1.5 weeks and each time was told to call back tomorrow.

Finally, I was able to get a hold of someone who said that they could repair the cable card. Only, now that they've done that, every time that I try to watch NBCSN, MSNBC or CNBC, I get the cable card pairing screen. All my other channels work fine.

Ive called suddenlink several times about the missing NBC networks and nobody seems to be able to figure it out. Theyve even sent another tech out who was pretty unhelpful.

Do any of y'all know if Im missing something?

2. elorimer

elorimer Member

Jan 1, 2012
    1. I've had missing channels because on Brighthouse they needed to add them to my subscription manually--somehow pairing the cablecard with the bolt instead of a roamio got a different lineup.
    2. Some channels in some areas need a tuning adapter, but there I get a "not authorized" message instead of going to a pairing screen.
    3. You have to stay on TE3 with a 4tb drive, usually.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It's too late now, but, given the hassles w/ CableCARD pairing, you should have gone with a MFS Tools 3.x migration of your working 500GB drive to the 4TB drive, in order to retain the pairing.

Just these NBC stations? Have you checked all the stations in your plan/package?

One test is to grab a set-top from your provider and see what channels you get using their gear. Assuming they pro-rate the lease, it would be a minor expense to identify whether it's an account-level issue, rather than a CableCARD glitch.