Tivo Bolt Echo Dot sync issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Gilgamesch, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Gilgamesch

Gilgamesch Member

Dec 6, 2003

Advertisements

I just got a new TIVO Bolt. I am able to sync it to my Amazon Echo Dot but I have found once I turn the TIVO off the Echo Dot will lose sync and I have to redo the sync process. I was wondering if anybody has experience this issue and if so have you found a solution. Thank you for your help.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I recommend that you don't turn the TiVo "off", as there really is no 'off' and any power savings is negligible...

-KP

3. Gilgamesch

Gilgamesch Member

Dec 6, 2003
    I actually use a universal remote which allows me to control my TIVO,TV and sound system and I just have to hit one button to turn all the devices off. I never had a problem with my previous TIVO with my Echo Dot maintaining sync.

kpeters59 likes this.
  4. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    what do you mean by turning the TiVo “off”? There’s no way to power off the TiVo except to unplug it.

5. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005

Advertisements

No coffee yet today--what do you mean by syncing the Dot with the Bolt box? For remote control purposes, or something else?

6. Gilgamesch

Gilgamesch Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Once you sync your Bolt to your Echo Dot you can give the Dot voice commands to control the Bolt like saying "play" or "pause".

Mikeguy likes this.
  7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Got it, thanks. I thought that there could be some other function there with the Dot (often the case) that I wasn't aware of, such as the TiVo box playing its audio through the Dot.

I just tried my Dot/TiVo sync and no issue with the Dot controlling the TiVo right now. But I also don't turn my TiVo "off" or put it in standby, although I'm pretty sure that I must have restarted it (through the TiVo menu) since I first synced the Dot with the TiVo box.

Personally, I don't find the Dot/TiVo sync all that useful and don't use it much, as my coordinated devices are in a room where my remote is at hand and I find the remote controls faster (even with my reaching for the remote) and more certain than voice commands via the Dot. I could see matters differently in a different use situation, e.g. in the kitchen while cooking, or if one has different abilities.

8. Gilgamesch

Gilgamesch Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Got it, thanks. I thought that there could be some other function there with the Dot (often the case) that I wasn't aware of, such as the TiVo box playing its audio through the Dot.

I just tried my Dot/TiVo sync and no issue with the Dot controlling the TiVo right now. But I also don't turn my TiVo "off" or put it in standby, although I'm pretty sure that I must have restarted it (through the TiVo menu) since I first synced the Dot with the TiVo box.

Personally, I don't find the Dot/TiVo sync all that useful and don't use it much, as my coordinated devices are in a room where my remote is at hand and I find the remote controls faster (even with my reaching for the remote) and more certain than voice commands via the Dot. I could see matters differently in a different use situation, e.g. in the kitchen while cooking, or if one has different abilities.

I agree not that big a deal I was just curious because I did not have this issue with my previous Bolt. I actually have a Bolt VOX so I can use the Bolt remote for voice commands just found it easier to use the Dot because I did not have to use the remote and could actually control the Bolt from across the room like if my hands were full of plates I could just say "play" to restart a paused program. Not sure if my Bolt goes into standby when my universal remote turns everything off although if I am using the Bolt and use my universal remote to switch to my Roku I do get a standby message from the Bolt.

9. Gilgamesch

Gilgamesch Member

Dec 6, 2003
    I think I may have solved my problem. Apparently you have to go under settings and enable network access. Strange that this is not automatically enabled when you pair the Dot and the TIVo.