Tivo Bolt - Cleveland Spectrum - Channels go missing/flicker/do not tune

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by quern, Oct 13, 2020.

1. quern

quern New Member

Dec 28, 2008

Advertisements

Hello all:

I've been lurking on this site reading up on things to try and figure out what is going on with my Tivo Bolt I picked up from a forum member on a different site. Years ago I was with Time Warner and had a Tivo HD with a cable card and tuning adapter and everything worked well. I recently switched back to Spectrum from U-Verse and my SDV has been nothing but problems. I've replaced my tuning adapter 2 times (on my third one) and the Cable card 1 time (on my second). I've had 3 truck rolls to my home to tell me my signals are all good and also logged an FCC Complaint (which has gotten their attention because the supervisor has been texting me). The last truck roll the tech ran a wire directly to my 3 way splitter from the side of the house just to make sure it wasn't wiring in the house causing the issue. He claims that this has got to be something within sprectrum... anyway, here is a synopsis of what I'm experiencing. I'm hoping someone may be able to advise if this could be a possible Tivo Tuner issue and not a spectrum issue.

When I first reset my tuning adapter I will get channels that are SDV. Within a few days (or hours) I start to loose them. When I look at the diagnostics it will show that it tuned to the channel but there is no frequency, etc... if I unplug the power on the SDV box and then plug it back in my SDV channels will come back for a while before losing them again.

Another issue is that at times we will be watching channels (regular and SDV) and the channel goes black for like 2 seconds before coming back on. This will go on for a while before resolving itself and being ok. I actually recorded the Tivo Diagnostics when it was flashing and everything dies. There is no channel #, frequency, modulation, etc...

SNR is around 37-38db and normally my signal strength is in the 95% range.

I did have an issue the other day were my signal strength was low and non SDV channels were pixelated. I did find my cable modem wire wasn't 100% tight so I tightened it up which seemed to get the signal back up (although i don't understand why that would happen when it's on it's only line going to the 3 way splitter for my Tivo & Tuning adapter). The supervisor just showed up and he saw how channels would not tune. He also saw the channel go black for 2 seconds and then come back on. We even had a primary non SDV channel not work correctly and the signal level was dropping down to 9% but it was only that one local channel (other locals are strong). The supervisor had me switch the bolt power to a different UPC just to ensure that it's not a power issue. So upon doing that and getting the Tivo back up we rebooted the Tuning Adapter. Now everything is tuning in OK... but my guess is I'll lose channels or have the signal drops sometime in the next 24 hours or so.

Could this be a bad bolt? Is it possible that the tuner in the bolt is going? I did buy this used... i am thinking of buying an edge but i'd hate to spend $400 on a unit and find out nothing is resolved.

Any feedback or trouble shooting tips is helpful.

Jerry

2. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Sounds like something is awry with your equipment. Let's hope it was the UPS.

3. quern

quern New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    If it's an issue with my bolt do I pick up a New Bolt Vox or jump to the Edge?