1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Bolt - Can't Watch Live TV Now error and won't do anything else

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by DocNo, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Aug 4, 2018 #1 of 15
    DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    So I have a 4 tuner Tivo bolt. And here recently after getting done watching a program I get an error:

Can't Watch Live TV Now V86

Complaining that no tuners for live TV are available. What? This doesn't make sense - there is no Tivo Mini involved here. I'm on the Bolt directly. I can't pick Watch A Recording instead or do anything else. If I wait, after a few minutes the error message will cycle and keep cycling.

It feels like a cable card error of some sort but that's not what the error that pops up is hinting. All I can do to get the Tivo Bolt back is to unplug it (!!)

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this. It's odd - happened three times in the last two days now.

2. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    Ugh - it's back to doing this again. I wonder if it's a Verizon FIOS issue?

3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    I wonder if it's some kind of Tuner Hardware issue...does rebooting the TiVo clear it up?

-KP

4. Nov 1, 2018 #4 of 15
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I've had Verizon FiOS as long as there have been Bolts and I have never had this happen on a Bolt.

5. Nov 2, 2018 #5 of 15
    DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    Yeah, it's really odd. It did it for a bit then stopped, then it started doing it again here recently several times over a week, then it just stopped.

I had to power cycle since the GUI was all but locked up.

I did have to replace a failing drive with a new one. I cloned everything over and I wonder if an old recording could have been partially corrupted and caused a problem elsewhere? It cropped up after deleting a a show that had been recorded. But now that I think about it more I'm pretty sure the show that we were watching was recorded after I changed out to the new hard drive. Ugh.... I wonder if there's a way to get the Tivo to log via syslog; I could at least have some logs to try to look for a pattern or something. Time to search the forums here :)

6. Nov 2, 2018 #6 of 15
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    TiVo is always logging. You can cause a "place mark" with "777Clear 911Clear". Hit Clear quick or it will change channels. To view the logs, in SI, enter clear-clear-enter-enter-0.
    No, nothing is documented.

Mikeguy and DocNo like this.
  7. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    Sweet tip on the marking. Unfortunately the UI is completely locked up when it happens. I'll have to see if I can get it to log to my logging server with syslog, otherwise I'll just pull the logs and import 'em.

However I think it's the hard drive. This is the third Western Digital Red 8TB drive I have tried and it's making the same noises that sound suspiciously like it's having problems seeking. I may try a Seagate Iron Wolf since several people seem to be having excellent luck with theirs.

And I just remembered I need to check the settings in the firmware on this drive for head parking and some of the other wonky stuff WD often does. If that's what it turns out to be I'll feel a little silly but will be happy if that resolves it.

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If the yellow LED is still working, try the HDUI reset before pulling the plug:

Thumbs down, thumbs up, play, play.

DocNo likes this.
  9. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    Thanks, I think I'll put that on a sticky note on the front of it - otherwise I won't remember :)

10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    <tangent> Ooh, cool! Is a Golden Ticket hidden there somewhere? </tangent>

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You get a medal if you document all the log files. To see some indication of what they do, perform an Network Diagnostics/Internet Diagnostics first. That logs all the stuff that happens during a Service Connection without doing the actual connection. There is one item that bugs me though. I see this "BILLBOARD" all over the place. I wish I knew what it meant.

12. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    <tangent> Lol, too far above my pay grade. Lots of "BILLBOARD" errors here as well. One of the only things that I could figure out is, the date/time stamp follows Greenwich, England time. ;) </tangent>

13. Ratamacue

Ratamacue New Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Southeastern PA
    Having the same issue as OP on a new (to me) refurb Bolt+ running Hydra, also on Verizon FIOS. The yellow LED was responding but the HDUI reset didn't work. After waiting for several minutes (5+), the box acted as if it finished whatever it was digesting and went through a number of screens in quick succession, as if it was finally responding to all the remote commands it had received. This has happened twice today.

This box is a replacement that I just received last week. Does anyone think that this may be a hardware problem?

14. fandango jango

fandango jango New Member

Jun 12, 2007
    According to a 11/8/18 call to Tivo Customer Support, the "Can't Watch Live TV Now V86" issue is a software issue affecting numerous users and will require a software update to correct. I noticed this issue with my refurb Bolt, Spectrum cable, on 11/7. I initially thought it may be my DVR Exapander so I attempted to unmarry from my Tivo. The Tivo would not let me unmarry the DVR Expander. In addition, I am unable to rewind live TV very far or at all. According to customer support, these issues are all driven by the software issue. Tivo Customer Support could not provide an estimate for when this would be fixed....which is very frustrating. They stated I could call back in a week to check the status.

15. Ratamacue

Ratamacue New Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Southeastern PA
    Thanks for posting this. I'm a bit surprised that support at Tivo actually had some information on this. It must be pretty widespread.