Tivo Bolt and TCL 55R613 HDMI issues (HDR?)

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Adam Rice, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Adam Rice

Adam Rice New Member

Jan 3, 2021

Advertisements

So I have noticed that when I set any of my Tivo's resolution to "auto", it's trying to upscale everything to 4k, and honestly, it looks terrible. I've watched it for years complaining about Xfinity's poor compression. One day, I decided to uncheck "Auto 4K" and individually checked off every separate resolution, assuming that it would just play the native resolution.

HOLY COW was the picture 1000 times better. I have no problem at my house running the Tivo through my Yamaha AV, and then to my LG OLED.

I tried the same thing at both my parent and Uncle's - both using TCL's - different models, but one of them is a TCL 55R613. Their Tivos are plugged straight into the HDMI port with a high quality cable. When I turned off the "auto 4k" they were stunned how much better the image looked, but we stumbled upon an issue. When they change channels, and go to one that appears to support HDR - as the HDR icon flashes up, the screen goes to snow. I assume that it is a handshake issue, for if I simply unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in, the picture pops right up.

I have tried every HDMI mode on the TCL, and I have tried disabling HDR on the TCL, and I have tried every single HDMI port and different cables. Nothing fixes it.

Now not to muddy the waters, but I have a Tivo VOX mini with a TCL TV in my son's room, same Xfinity service, did my turn off "auto 4k" trick in his setup (mini going straight to TCL) and it works just fine.

Is there by chance a better HDMI port/chip/contoller on the Vox mini? I am going to grab my son's mini and take it over my parents to test it, but I really hoping that someone might know what is going on.

Thanks so much!