TiVo Bolt and 4K Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by GGE, May 14, 2019.

1. GGE

GGE New Member

Oct 23, 2018
    I apologize if I posted this on the wrong thread. I have a very noobie question.

I’m finally pulling the trigger on a 4K TV (Sony X900F) and currently have the Roamio Pro.

1. For regular cable shows the TV will upscale the 1080p content to look 4K, but do I need to upgrade to the TiVo Bolt as well or will upgrading make the 4K better somehow?

2. Am I correct to assume I will have to use the TV’s Netflix app to access 4K content and not the Roamio Pro’s Netflix app to get access to the 4K content?

Thank you in advance!

2. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
  3. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    1. This depends on which device has better upscaling, the Bolt or the Sony. This TV has very solid reviews for upscaling so a Roamio should be perfectly fine.

2. You would need to use the TV's apps to get 4K since a Roamio can't do 4K. Or some other device like a Roku if you aren't satisfied with the TV's apps.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  4. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    There is very LITTLE 4K content available to your TiVo - if you are happy with the Roamio, I would not waste the money to buy a Bolt.

5. Salacious Crumb

Salacious Crumb New Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Pequannock, NJ
    In the youtube app on my bolt i see alot of 4K stuff.

6. GGE

GGE New Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Hi thanks for answering. If I do purchase the Bolt will it upscale cable shows better -- like will it work together with the TV or does the upscaling happen on just the TV and/or just the set top box.

7. TostitoBandito

TostitoBandito Active Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Mill Creek, WA
    For standard HD cable or whatever, there will be no difference at all between a Bolt, a Roamio, or whatever cable box you can get from the cable company. The only reason to buy a Bolt is for the ability to use 4K streaming apps like Netflix/Amazon/Vudu on the same device you watch cable on, but the caveat is that the features/quality from those apps are inferior to what you get from a $50 4K Amazon or Hulu stick. Mainly, on Tivo you are stuck with older app versions and there's no Dolby Vision support.

Personally, I own a Bolt and since I moved to 4K like 6 months ago I never use the Bolt for streaming anymore. My TV has Netflix/Amazon/Vudu apps which do full 4K HDR with Dolby Vision, and if I want to use something like HBO Go I fire up the Xbox since you can't use that on Tivo via Comcast anyways. I'd really like the Bolt to be a top-shelf all-in-one streaming and cable device as it was advertised to be, but Tivo just can't provide the level of support in terms of app support and features in order to stay competitive with new TV's or cheap streaming sticks. At least in the 4K world. As a 1080p HD streaming device the Bolt is fine, I guess.

As far as scaling is concerned, I very much doubt you'd notice any difference between letting your TV scale from 1080p to 4K or just setting a Bolt to output 4K and scale anything under that up accordingly. I have a pretty expensive OLED TV, and I have my Bolt set to just output 4K.

8. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    The upscaling will happen on one or the other, not both. There might not be a noticeable difference between Bolt or TV scaling, but it's a good practice to experiment both ways. But a Bolt wouldn't provide any extra scaling benefit. The TV can do the job for the Roamio.

9. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I generally like the upscaling a *little* better from my Tivo than my TV, but I wouldn't upgrade. The Bolt would be doing the same thing as your TV.

As for the smart apps, just use the ones on your TV. I have an older model than you (X900E) and the smart apps are still much faster/better than those on the Bolt. Much better selection too.

10. GGE

GGE New Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Thank you for taking the time to answer all my questions. I think I’ll stay with the Roamio until people start broadcastinbrg in 4K. You guys rock!

11. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    Another reason to stay with the Roamio is heat. I went through two Bolts after upgrading from a Premier. Now on the third one, and have to use a laptop cooler and keep the cablecard door off to keep the temperature acceptable.

12. MisterMidnight

MisterMidnight New Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Is there a noticeable difference in picture quality (Amazon & Netflix 4k) using the TV's apps/4k stick vs accessing from the Bolt?