TiVo Bolt All lights flashing, no cable

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Terry Mayberry, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Terry Mayberry

Terry Mayberry Member

Sep 28, 2017
    I have TiVo Bolt. All four lights are flashing on the front and TiVo Mini's says connection to box has been lost. I have unplugged everything numerous times. The last time I unplugged everything, including removing Charter Video Card. Reconnected all and still same results. Charter has resent signal twice. I have internet service, so assume have good cable connection. Has been working great until recently, it does loose connection to box temporarily.

I am lost....................

2. nyjklein

nyjklein J-E-T-S JetsJetsJets TCF Club

Aug 8, 2002
    North...
    Four flashing lights = hard disk failure.

Sorry.

Jeff

NoSpamMan likes this.
  3. Terry Mayberry

Terry Mayberry Member

Sep 28, 2017

4. Terry Mayberry

Terry Mayberry Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Oh great. What does this mean. Replace hard disk? Are these warranted?

5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    How old is your TiVo and what kind of service do you have? They is a 1 years parts warranty (90 parts and labor) and if you are paying for monthly or annual service then it should have Continual Care on it and you should be able to get it replaced ($49 beyond the 90 days).

https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/TiVo-Limited-Warranty

Scott

6. Terry Mayberry

Terry Mayberry Member

Sep 28, 2017
    I bought in July 2017

7. Terry Mayberry

Terry Mayberry Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Do I send in....have looked at your link yet

8. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Replacing the hard drive yourself is very easy, AND it gives you an opportunity to increase the size if you do not already have a 3TB Bolt+. It is well documented on these forums, and we can point you in the right direction id that is what you want to do.

9. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Your TiVo should have lasted longer than 8-9 months. You've not said what size TiVo or what type of service you have yet.

All in or monthly subscription? 500gb - 1tb - 3tb?

10. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You would need to call TiVo support.

Scott

11. DoninDEN

DoninDEN New Member

May 15, 2016
    I’m having the flashing lights and seeking sound issue. Can you please point me to the right hard drive to try and what steps I need to take to upgrade? Currently have 1 TB, would like to increase it at the same time if doing so works and is less than the $199 Tivo charges to swap the box.

12. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Just got the dreaded all lights flashing. Bye bye all my recordings. Bolt + is 11 months, five days old. Replacement will cost me $49. :mad:

13. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I hope the 2TB drive I put in my son's Bolt lasts longer (also installed the Noiseblocker BlackSilentFan XS-2 fan at the same time). :(

Scott

14. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004
    If 4 flashing lights mean HD failure, how come when I called TiVo tech support they had me unplugging the ethernet, trying to bypass my surge protector and about 10 other things over a period of a couple days before I could finally get a replacement? Only curious as if its that cut and dry, I should have only had to call once and mention 4 flashing lights and they say HD failure here is the return??

NoSpamMan likes this.
  15. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    They follow a script. If by some chance it isn't a TiVo failure, then they save the company a few bucks dealing with the return. The one time I had a TiVo fail, I did everything they suggested even before I called. They got the message that I was competent in troubleshooting and an exchange was done from the first call. That was many years ago, so whether that still works is questionable.

16. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Yeah, it must have worked once by some miracle and now it is in their scripts. I first went to chat hoping to just negotiate a replacement there, but chat would only tell me to do the disconnects, etc. When I called I was able to tell the CSR that I had already jumped through their hoops and was able to get the replacement sent.

17. NoSpamMan

NoSpamMan New Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Ah, joy. Me too this morning. This thread is 100 times more helpful than the chat box I'm in now. My bolt is about 20 months old, all on a protected UPS system along with the TV. How disappointing! I bought a lifetime service thing for it, but I don't know if that adds to the warranty or not. Any thoughts before I call TiVo this morning?

18. idontknowhowtotype

idontknowhowtotype New Member

Mar 10, 2018
    From other forums the hard drive being used to upgrade or fix the hard drive issue is the 3.0TB Toshiba MQ03ABB300 2.5-inch 15.0mm. Here is the link to the hard drive. Toshiba MQ03ABB300 3.0TB 2.5-inch 15.0mm SATA... at MacSales.com We have been having the flashing lights periodically for about a year now. Unplugging the power cord from the back of the Tivo for a few seconds got it working again but got tired of having to do that so ordered the hard drive and just replaced it yesterday. So far so good. I took the old hard drive and plugged it into our computer. Windows didn't recognize it as a partitioned disk since the Tivo doesn't use the NTFS system so had to format and partition it. After formatting and partitioning it I checked it with windows and there were no errors so not sure if the flashing lights are an indication of the hard drive going bad or something else. Time will tell.

19. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Some folks like to replace the power supply with one that has the same voltage but a higher amp rating on the off chance that the newer hd's may draw slightly more power.

20. pmokover

pmokover New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    New Jersey
    Hi,
    Please point me in the right direction for replacing the hard drive in my TiVo Bolt 3TB.
    Thanks!
    Peter