TiVo Bolt 2TB+ Internal Hard Drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by markjrenna, Mar 24, 2019.

1. markjrenna

markjrenna Active Member

Mar 23, 2006
    New Jersey

Advertisements

I now notice the 3TB has been removed from TiVo.com. I originally wanted to order the 3TB Bolt but I see that weaknees.com has a 2TB and even a 3TB version also where as TiVo.com only goes to 1TB.

My concerns:
    I can't find a 2.5 AV Drive in 2TB or 3TB. Correct me if I am wrong but an AV drive is what is needed to use in a TiVo. I don't, IMHO, feel I am wrong as an AV drive is specific to 24/7 Audio/Video.

So how is weaknees.com doing it? What drives are they using? I am worried about reliability and it seems that reading around here that those that use some other non AV drive have issue months to a year or so later. I don't want that issue.

My questions... What are your thoughts??? Should I order one from Weaknnes that has 2TB or 3TB? Have you? Reliable?

2. k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    The 2TB WD20NPVT is intermittent supply and works well in the Bolt -- Amazon is showing 8 left at the moment.

3. boywaja

boywaja Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Northern...
    there is a lot of discussion on here about hard drives. After reading all of them and some of the fail reports here and on amazon, I decided to pay the piper and go with the 3 TB from weaknees. Its the same drive that came in my bolt+. that drive isn't available from alternative sources. And other brands didn't seem very good. (although even that drive only seems to last two years, some blame the bolt's cooling capability)

I had to replace like for like. I didn't want to downgrade. for the 2 TB drive its really up to you if the cost savings is worth the smaller drive. I'd be tempted. weaknees does want a lot of money for the 3 TB.

4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    What is the manf./model no. for the 3TB drive from Weaknees, if I might ask?

5. boywaja

boywaja Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Northern...

Advertisements

western digital WD30NPRZ

Mikeguy likes this.