Tivo Bolt + 2 Tivo Minis + Moca + Signal Booster

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by apishdadi, Dec 23, 2019.

1. apishdadi

apishdadi New Member

Dec 23, 2019
    Hello,

After setting up our second mini in our masterbedroom. While watching TV we would notice a small glitch like once or twice a minute. A small part of the screen would kind of flicker, not super noticeable unless your looking for it or real close. After further investigation it seemed the main tv where the bolt is plugged in was kind of doing it too.

I am using the houses COAX network which had splitters and in more then one place, i decided to get rid of them. I also bought a booster: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00695G11M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I installed the booster and disconnected two splitters. Check the signal on the bolt and was getting a nice 36 on the Signal at 86%. The minis have no place in the diagnostics to get a report on the signal.

Anyway, the flickering went away on the bolt, and the pictures improved on the minis.

But once a minute or two the tivo minis would say it lost the signal and the error would pop up and i would have to switch back to the channel to start viewing again. This was happening on both minis. The screen quality did improve, and it didnt have the flickerering line anymore, it would just barely pixelate in a small area before it bitched about losing the signal.

Anyone have any suggestions?? Makes no sense that the signal got better but the experience is way worse now cause i have to restart what im watching, before when the screen flickered, it didnt spit out that error and kick me out.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  3. apishdadi

apishdadi New Member

Dec 23, 2019
    I have the first one you linked too minus the power insertor which I’m not sure is necessary for my setup? Also mine doesn’t have the moca filter but I just ordered one. This is going to go in front of the input right?

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Not per your above link. Compare model numbers and details.

5. apishdadi

apishdadi New Member

Dec 23, 2019
    Ya, similar but not same .. so you know what the power insertor is for ? I ordered some moca poe filters, arriving today. This goes in front of the input of the amp right?

6. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    For inserting power?

One of the Ports on the Amp is labeled Power In. That port can be used to 'remote' power the amp with the very clever inserter.

-KP

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Right, and not needed if the amp can be powered locally via a direct connection to its power adapter (via coax run between the power adapter and the amp’s dedicated power-in port).

If using the power inserter to remotely provide power to the amp, the coax line to which the power inserter is connected would need to attach to the amp’s combo power-in/output port.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    TL;DR: The add’l MoCA filter may help, but the correct amp would be best.

—-
    Yes, you would install a MoCA “PoE” filter on the input of your non-MoCA amp, and it may improve your situation ... but it’s a poor substitute for a MoCA bypass amp w/ built-in MoCA filter, as linked above.

With a built-in MoCA filter, the filter is downstream of the amp circuit, keeping MoCA signals from passing through the amp circuitry, which would impart severe losses on the signal, and, further, a MoCA bypass design enables MoCA signals to pass between the amplified output ports and the passive modem output port, critical if MoCA signals must travel to/from the amp’s modem port.

9. apishdadi

apishdadi New Member

Dec 23, 2019
    I installed a poe moca filter on the input of the amp and now everything works perfect! Thanks for the suggestions tho!

sakaike and kpeters59 like this.