TiVo Blog

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by gonzotek, Oct 28, 2005.

1. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    http://blog.tivo.com/

Has anyone seen this yet? I searched prior to posting, hopefully I didn't miss an obvious thread. I'm very happy they've enabled comments, even if they are moderated. Hopefully, they'll allow some debate and real discussion and not just the "I lurve TiVo" kinda posts.

2. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Since they're filtering comments, I wouldn't count on it. I'm guessing this is just another avenue for more light-weight fluff, similar to the email newsletter. Time will tell...

I wonder how long it will take before they go after Alex and his tivoblog.com domain name? ;)

3. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    Saw it yesterday ... didn't look done well enough to be worth a thread :)

Bookmarked for later perusal on the off-chance it gets bigger & better.

4. Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    I agree with the earlier comments, but you have to admit that it is hard to go to any high volume site discussing Tivo and be greeted with a warm and loving atmosphere. It can get contentious and it can get so not-fun that regular folk need options beyond TCF.

So I think they are filling a real need. Maybe I will put on my happy hat and write some stuff under another nom de plume. Stuff that grandmother's grok.

5. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    What about grandmother's grok? Is it special ... different somehow from yours or mine?

I don't grok what you're saying!

yes, so it's friday and I'm busy and irritable

6. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Yeah, I tend to agree... gonzotek, JutinThyme, ashu, and I are probably not the target audience for that blog. We're probably on the higher-end of who they're probably trying to reach and we're already active here in the TCF.

7. Justin Thyme

Mar 29, 2005
    You know, I have forgotten the name of the character in "Stranger in a Strange Land"- the book that the term "grok" came from. But you know there is this scene where he was just putting his feet on the grass and he was just like right there digging it, totally into the experience, one with the universe despite the fact that he knew all this extra junk about technology and what not.

Writing about digging the Tivo experience is not fluffy talk. It is preaching to the choir on this site, but most people haven't a clue what a DVR does, let alone how it can alter your Weltanschuang about Television.

She may be fluffy, but Nova is the White Rabbit. I expect many will follow her and see as Morphius said, just how far the rabbit hole goes. But others may take the blue pill and stay in the VOD wonderland of mounting Cableco bills.

Of course, my children were born free- never jacked into the mainframe so they don't know what watching live TV is.

As an aside, I think Tivo could run a spot like Apple's "1984" advertisement. Using this Matrix imagery of consumers being the captive of something that is sucking their life juices out of them, and Tivo being the way to set themselves free.

8. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Nova really needs to post more often for it to be effective - just the first post so far and then nothing? Not a way to really launch a blog. And I know not all the comments get aired, even if positive - mine isn't up, and I've seen other comment that their comments aren't up.

9. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Valentine Michael Smith

10. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Just this one thread is way more interesting than the blog is, it has a ways to go. But then again both my Grandmothers (rest their souls) would have been wondering who this grok fellow was ;)

11. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD

My head is spinning. Or is it the world? Too many abstrat metaphors and references. I don't grok 'em!

12. Justin Thyme

Mar 29, 2005
    I remember the 1984 spot during the super bowl and remarking "what the F--- was that about?"

13. robaustin

robaustin Member

Nov 14, 2004
    The TIVO blog is so lame - did they launch it just to say they had a corporate blog? I wrote this comment to the blog, let's see if they let it through the moderation.:

If you start a blog - you really should put something on it to create some buzz around it! It's been over a week and...nothing? Nothing at all to say? How about talking about 7.2.1 with "Overlap Protection"? How about turning folks on to Galleon - which just released version 1.8?

The other TIVO and PVR blogs are a hell of a lot more active, so this site is pretty worthless - unless you UPDATE IT!

--*Rob

14. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    In 1984, I though football was played with a round, black-and-white patched ball and the ball ONLY ever touched 10 of the 11 players' hands. Heck, I still think so ;) Apparently NARL (National American-Rugby League) didn't sound quite as good as NFL :rolleyes:

I was also only 7, then. No can grok 'superbowl' :D

15. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    One post?

Moderated comments?

And then nothing?

Come on Tivo people, if you are going to do a blog, do a blog.

16. robaustin

robaustin Member

Nov 14, 2004
    My comments were never approved. What's the point in having a blog - which should be a conversation with your customers - if you can't honestly respond to their comments to you.

Otherwise - it's nothing more then another place to post puffy pieces about the company. That's not a blog - that's a website you update on occasion.

All I see in the second post is more TIVO puffery and once again - a mention of the TIVO Ambassador thing.

There is so much more going on with TIVO - from the 7.2.1 update to Galleon to other tips on TIVO use. This is the best they can do?

--*Rob

17. robaustin

robaustin Member

Nov 14, 2004
    Left more comments which were never approved.

And look - every other blog has the scoop on the Yahoo/Tivo deal before the TIVO blog - shouldn't they be first ?

--*Rob

18. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Pure PR crap, and not even a decent job at doing it.

Sorry Tivo peeps, I love you, but that's what it is.

19. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    They haven't even posted *their own* press release to the site yet. Go figure!

The good news is they recently posted a job opening for Public Relations Manager:
    https://sh.webhire.com/servlet/av/jd?ai=757&ji=1673855&sn=I

Hopefully they'll be able to hit this target with whoever they select:

20. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    did they list experience with QuickTime as a requirement :D