TiVo black screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by steeleno12, Nov 28, 2011.

1. steeleno12

steeleno12 New Member

May 9, 2004

Advertisements

Turned on my TiVo Series 2 Dual receiver and only get a black screen. TiVo does not respond to the remote.

I know that a black screen can indicate a failed power supply however I am wondering if it can be the power supply since the green indicator lights are working in the front of the TiVo unit.

If not the power supply, what could be wrong?

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Have you tried cutting, then restoring the power?

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    A faulty power supply could be supplying some current (like say on the +5V line, which is probably what powers the LEDs), but failing on the +12V rail.

The S2 DT (TCD649xxx) does 5, 12, and 32 (probably for the varactors in the tuners), but not the 3.3 the S1s and single tuner S2s do.

You need to go read the wikipedia article on "capacitor plague" to learn what visual signs to look for, and it wouldn't hurt to check out badcaps.net as well.

Then open up the TiVo and have a look.

You can also disconnect the power lead from the hard drive and see if the TiVo will at least output the welcome, powering up screen (it's on the motherboard, the just a few more centuries screen is on the hard drive.

If it does, then either the hard drive has something wrong with it that causes it to draw so much power that the motherboard doesn't get enough (check to see if the fan spins up too), or the hard drive's okay but the power supply has a problem and can no longer supply enough oomph for both the drive and the mobo.

If disconnecting the power lead to the hard drive gets you the welcome screen, try powering it from a computer power supply, starting it up before you plug in the TiVo.

If that gets you a TiVo that boots to TiVo Central, or a live broadcast or whatever, then it's almost certainly the power supply.

Report back on what you discover and we'll take it from there.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It just occured to me that a black, not gray, screen could mean that the TiVo is booting up alright, but either the video cable has gone bad, or the video output jack has gone bad, or, less likely, the electronics that feed the video output jack have gone bad.

I assume you also aren't getting any sound out of it?