TIVO billing my card and holding my funds without authorization!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Michael Quinn, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Michael Quinn

Michael Quinn Semper Fidelis

Jun 22, 2017

Advertisements

UNREAL!! I tried to purchase a sale item, Tivo Mini, on line. I went through the entire purchase procedure, when I hit the "complete purchase" button I was told there were "technical difficulties, try later".

I tried several times and each and every time, unbeknownst to me, a charge was authorized on my debit card which means I can't use the funds. I now have around $600 that I can't access because Tivo has those funds locked in my bank account as "pending". This is ridiculous ..there is no one at customer service who can help, I'm just stuck hoping they release the funds when this clears days from now, meanwhile I'm out that money. And did you ever try to reach someone who speaks English at this company?? Good grief. I still don't know if my order went through or whether several of these items are going to show up. Nice products, horrible customer service.

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    That sucks but it's also why you should **never** click on purchase button more than once when buying anything online. Or from a kiosk, etc. In many cases it will keep running through new transactions.

3. Michael Quinn

Jun 22, 2017
    I appreciate your response but I didn't "click more than once". I submitted, it told me there was a technical problem and to try later. I tried later several times and only later found out that it was tapping my checking account each time. And I still don't think the actual purchase has been made.

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    It'll probably be 30 days before the holds are released.
    On 4/4 I tried to get in on the buy a bolt and transfer lifetime to it for $99 deal. Tivo put a $313 hold on my card and then told me days later that they were out of stock. Three weeks later they were in stock again, but instead of using the money they had held, they just charged me again so I still had that original $313 being held up so I couldn't use it for over another week.

And for the record, each and every one of the 6X that you clicked on "complete purchase" you were authorizing tivo to hold your $99.99.

5. Michael Quinn

Jun 22, 2017

Advertisements

That's just CRIMINAL‼️ I'm trying to buy a $99 item and they have locked up around $700 in my checking account!! And you can't find a phone number where someone in authority can be reached. What a dam racket!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  6. Michael Quinn

Jun 22, 2017
    Yes, well you do understand that I only clicked "complete purchase" more than once because the web site instructed that there had been "technical problems" and that I "should try again later". This really pisses me off!!!

7. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Holds only last 5 days. The bank will drop them after 5 days. Now if they get posted and send you 3 mini's you'll have to send them back.

Michael Quinn and dianebrat like this.
  8. Michael Quinn

Jun 22, 2017
    Appreciate the info. The funny thing is I've heard everything from 24 hrs from the Tivo people to 30 days or more from other people, so I'm a little upset that it's been around 3 days and no sign of them dropping off, they're holding up around $700. I don't think I'll be buying any more equipment from them, I'd rather pay a little more and go through Walmart or Amazon and know that they'll treat my bank account with some respect.

9. keenanSR

keenanSR Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Santa Rosa CA
    It's now the weekend, you may not see any activity until Tuesday morning after ACH does its thing Monday night.

Michael Quinn likes this.
  10. Michael Quinn

Jun 22, 2017
    Yea, but tomorrow is Monday in the Philipines!!;)

11. keenanSR

keenanSR Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Santa Rosa CA
    But the purchase is being conducted in California. :)

Something to try if this ever happens again, hopefully, it won't, but try using a different browser if the first purchase process fails. Some sites simply don't work well with different browsers and even different releases of the same browser.

Also, clear any cookies set by the site and retry the purchase process.

Just some ideas to think about should you come across this problem again in the future.

12. Michael Quinn

Jun 22, 2017
    THANKS again‼️

13. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    The number of days the funds are held is specific to the industry the vendor is coded under. It could be shorter or longer. I would trust the folks that have had personal experience buying through the pathway you purchased (ie online or phone call)

Even if you were able to get through to a more experienced person at TiVo there likely isn't any way for them to release the hold. It isn't technically put there by them, they did an auth and the bank gave them a response to the auth and held the funds. TiVo's next step is to "capture" the funds when the transaction is complete. If they don't do the capture on the previous authorization, the funds become available again. The time period is specific to the industry. I know for hotels, the auth/hold period is longer because people could be staying in the hotel longer before they checkout and complete the transaction.

14. Michael Quinn

Jun 22, 2017
    Wow!! I just found this forum and I'm sure glad I did. That's what I call a serious response!! Thank you so much. My bank tells me the funds should be released tomorrow. I'll believe it when I see it but I'm hopeful. I understand your explanation. What ever the situation is, one thing for sure, there is something seriously wrong with the "system" when as a matter of regular practice, through "no one's fault", I can end up with $700 tied up for a week or more while trying to make a $99 purchase and still not end up with the original product I ordered, the Tivo Mini. It happens I have the funds covered for now but this could have really caused problems with overdraws and the like as other "auto withdraws" take place. Not good, especially since I never have this problem with other big companies.

I'm watching every day and those funds are still listed as "pending" but unavailable to me. This has to be happening every day to other people and it's all about poor customer service and a pathetic Tivo "system" where it's impossible to contact anyone in this country with some pull. It never happens with Walmart or Amazon or you name it. Tivo should spend some time and try to make their customer service and their relationships with their banks and customers as impressive as their products are.

Thanks again for taking the time.

15. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    This is yet another reason not to use a debt card for online purchases. I rather them tie up funds on my credit card then on my debt card.

I get that not everyone wants or has a credit card but for those that do I think it makes sense to use them over debt cards.

Locking up $700 on my credit limit on one card isn't going to effect me much. Locking up $700 out of my checking might. Especially if I didn't think to check and see if they are holding funds multiple times.

Glad you caught it and were able to cover it till they drop off.

dianebrat, Michael Quinn and allan like this.
  16. Michael Quinn

Jun 22, 2017
    Good idea, didn't even think of that. Thanks a lot!

17. brentsg

brentsg Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Good to see more people reporting their credit card processing issues. (well not good, but good to see evidence)

I had issues placing an order and have 1 successful order and 1 additional hold on funds from a failed transaction. A family member has 5-6 holds on funds ($300+ each) for failed transactions and zero successful orders. TiVo told us both there are no reported credit card transaction issues, which obviously isn't true. Family member missed the Roamio OTA discount over this and they won't fix it.. despite all the transactions on his CC acct.

We're both using this as a lesson learned, bullet dodged, etc. TiVo already has me for a lifetime sub on 2 devices, but those will be the last. Will ride those until they finish swirling the bowl.

Looks like I'll wind up on the hook for shipping yesterday's order back though.

18. Michael Quinn

Jun 22, 2017
    I don't think I'll make any more purchases through TiVo, I would rather spend a few extra dollars and know I'm dealing with a reputable company. Still haven't gotten my funds released. Will buy my TiVo mini via Walmart probably. Thanks for your response.