TiVo-bGone

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by CitizenRob, Jan 11, 2006.

1. CitizenRob

CitizenRob New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    My roommate canceled a program I had set to record last night. This is the third time he's done it, and I'm tired of asking him to let my recordings record on the device that I own.

Thanks to the forum here I've found out info about Standby, and apparently it can record while in standby mode and pass the normal cable signal on (un-tivo'd) to the TV.

Now, what to do about the roomie? Summary execution with shallow grave? "Accidental" death? Removal of his thumbs to prevent him from selecting to not record things?

2. mgar

mgar New Member

Feb 13, 2005
    San Joaquin...
    Consider yourself in training for when you have kids that do the same thing. :)

3. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Who owns the TV?

If it's yours ... move it and the TiVo into your own room (assuming you have one). That'll show him. :)

4. CitizenRob

CitizenRob New Member

Jan 11, 2006

While I would win this battle I'm reluctant to do anything that would cause too much tension in the house. I just can't believe that TIVO doesn't have a "record unless code is entered" option when selecting what you want to record.

5. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    If your TV has RCA inputs, buy a $5 splitter and split the RF cable into Tivo and TV, then use A/V cables to hook Tivo to the TV. Lock away the Tivo remote and your room mate can use the TV remote to watch TV, you simply press input to watch Tivo.

6. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    :: ding :: As with children, "hide the remote" works. :)

7. CitizenRob

CitizenRob New Member

Jan 11, 2006

Apparently using Standby allows the tivo to record while passing the full cable signal on to the TV. I don't have another RCA input, my TV has two and they are currently taken up by the DVD player and the Nintendo Gamecube.

8. CitizenRob

CitizenRob New Member

Jan 11, 2006

...and besides, the technical issue is resolved. Now it's time to discuss revenge.

9. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    What was the show?

10. CitizenRob

CitizenRob New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Frontline on PBS

11. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    next time you leave to go away for any period of time - set it to record only the spanish channel and hide the remote

12. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Member

Mar 13, 2004
  13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets TCF Bookie

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    If you're interested, you could buy a "system selector" switch to get additional RCA unit hookups, run the Tivo, DVD Player, Gamecube, any other device to the switch...and then use the cable splitter...

As for revenge...I dunno...throw all of his stuff out of the fridge, say you needed the space...

14. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    I'd say tell him to keep his paws off your equipment.

Might also want to ask him if he's brain damaged or something, and ask what his major malfunction is, and whether or not he understands the concept of YOUR things and HIS.

Could also move the TiVo to your bedroom and put a lock on the door.

I'm tempted to say you might also want to paint him blue and cover him with cotton batton balls while he's sleeping, but that'd be wrong. :cool:

15. Atomike

Atomike New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    It's not the roommate's fault. He just wanted to watch TV. The OP didn't put in a splitter, and therefore forces everyone to watch HIS shows. If you need to blame somebody, leave the roommate alone, and blame the guy who hooked up his Tivo without a splitter.

16. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma

Geee, I bet the OP never thought of the first idea.
    :rolleyes:

I'm sure that second suggestion won't cause any tension, none at all I'm sure.
    People just love it when other poeple talk to them like that.
    :rolleyes:

17. Gregor

Gregor save the princess save the world TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    Welcome to "Season Pass Jihad" :(

IIRC, you can set the parental controls to avoid this situation?

18. AllAboutJeeps

AllAboutJeeps New Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Parental controls gets my vote also. Now the question, can you set a password to keep TiVo from coming out of standby?

...danny

19. dtreese

dtreese New Member

May 6, 2005
    You know how people are always asking, "Why do you need more than one TiVo?" This thread would be a great link for an answer.

20. pjhartman

pjhartman excitable boy

Jan 21, 2002
    Omaha, NE
    Does the TV have any S-Video or Component inputs? Either are better than using the coax input. Get your DVD signal on the component input!