Tivo Beta Program?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by joemg, Oct 30, 2011.

1. joemg

joemg New Member

Sep 28, 2011
    is there a way to signup for the tivo beta program? every link i've found seems to be broken when you try and submit the form.

thanks

2. Iluvatar

Iluvatar New Member

Jul 22, 2006
    https://fieldtrials.tivo.com/signup/

3. lujan

lujan Member

May 24, 2010
    I wouldn't recommend it. I was a part of it for about 9 months and it ended up being a big joke.

4. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    Opinions vary...

5. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I wish Tivo would just fix current software bugs instead of wasting resources on customer beta programs.

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    How are you going to test the bug fixes?

7. bearda

bearda New Member

Dec 6, 2006
    It doesn't seem like they tested the software before they shipped, why bother now?

8. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Maybe Tivo should actual test it themselves.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    In a beta only certain issues will show up since there are a limited number of testers. When you open up new software to more users you have more configurations so more issues will show up.

Of course we know from past history there are some bugs that TiVo has no problem never correcting.

10. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    Do you actually think they don't test their software and hardware? Beta programs are essential to exercising different use models, configurations, service providers, and just plain users.

11. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    If there's a dispute between management, who want a product shipped yesterday and engineers, who say the product is not ready to ship, who do you think wins?

12. El Gabito

El Gabito Member

Mar 10, 2004
    Indianapolis...
    Yeah this is pretty standard in the software world. All software ships with a ton of bugs - a percentage of which are known about when shipped. A "perfect" product does not exist and nothing would ever be released if it had to be "perfect" first.

13. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    I think that TiVo is very much about Quality over Timeline. There have been lots of releases rumored for deployment on a date and then it gets pushed back. I'd bet that most of the time it was to resolve defects. No one is perfect and issues do slip through the net. The software industry sets standards for acceptance and I believe TiVo has their standards pretty well set with the market. A TiVo is not a life-critical system...as much as some may feel that it is sometimes. TiVo isn't sending people to the ISS, they're recording TV for you.

Back in the day when I was slinging code, a Director overrode my Manager on a release that test said wasn't ready. 4 weeks and 1 very embarrassing roll-back later my boss was the Director, I was the Manager, and the old Director was looking for a job.

Management's approach is Quality First.

Oh, let me correct, NEW Management's approach is Quality First.

14. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Well actually I don't think they test it enough. Especially when bugs continue to exist from previous generation boxes.

15. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    To me that is an indication that either the problem is not considered to be a bug, is considered to be a trivial bug not worth fixing, or is considered to be a bug that is too expensive or difficult to fix.

I am quite sure that they are well aware of these bugs and don't need further testing to remind them that the bug exists.

Most companies have some sort of triage process where they decide what to accept and what to fix. I don't think TiVo is any different in that respect.

16. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    Heh...yeah. We call it a bug...they call it a "feature". :rolleyes:

In our shop we'll close those Defect Reports as "Working as designed".

Let me translate that into executive-speak terms:

"I understand you think it's a bug, but that's what was scoped, funded, confirmed in the requirements, designed, approved, developed, tested, QA'd, and formally accepted. If you have the authority and money, we'd be happy to take care of that for you."

Now in layman terms:

"Suck it up, Buttercup! It ain't changing."

17. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Something I'm wondering.

Have any of you people on this forum complaining about the bugs signed up to be a beta tester?

Complaining about the bugs here is not productive.
    The more diversity TiVo has with user configurations, the better.

18. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    Yes I have and I keep my profile up to date. I also call support with significant issues so they are recorded through those channels.

19. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    You sound like our developers except they would say, "make it work any way you want" instead of take care of that. However, what we call a bug they say is how we ordered it and if we find it does something we didn't ask for they say, "oh, we threw that in for free"...

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    As a *user* with lifetime subscription Tivos, I would gladly pay a one-time fee for a bunch of bugs/enhancement requests to be fixed:

* Use the SAME TUNER, when recording abutting shows WITH PADDING. This would effectively DOUBLE the number of tuners I have in many of my conflict cases.. I think I would literally pay $50 per Tivo for this. (Maybe more.)

* Reasonable free space meter (I realize Premieres have something like this, but IMHO it's still not really "reasonable")

* Faster transferring (Elites have this)

* Editing of shows (even simple delete from pause point to beginning/to end)