TiVo Being Ripped Off

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by atmuscarella, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Jan 3, 2006 #1 of 19
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY

Advertisements

Take a look at this add - its for a Direct TV R-15 unit - sure makes you think this is a TiVo DVR - if I were TiVo I would demand they remove all the TiVo logos from this.

http://www.rapidsatellite.com/detail.aspx?ID=307

Thanks,

atmuscarella

2. Jan 3, 2006 #2 of 19
    Fluffybear

Fluffybear New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Georgia
    I think Tivo might want to show this to their legal department..

3. Jan 3, 2006 #3 of 19
    Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    Off topic here, but in this ad they show pictures in the To Do List, etc (in this case a surfer). Does the DIrecTV DVR show pictures like this or was this just for this ad? And what is the point?

4. Jan 3, 2006 #4 of 19
    Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004
    Those were the new R-15 screen snapshots but it looks like they reused the old R-10 words. The R-15 does not use the terms wishlists, suggestions and things like that, it also records for 100 hours not 70. The R-10 does have all those TiVo terms plus only records for 70 hours.

The little TiVo picture icon was kinda misleading.

Rich

5. Jan 3, 2006 #5 of 19
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...

Advertisements

Yah... some updating is definenlty necessary there.

6. Jan 3, 2006 #6 of 19
    morgantown

morgantown DTV + Tvio = ;-)

Mar 29, 2005
    Wild...
    Lemme guess. DTV: "Our vendor chose to use advertising that we had no control over...we are working diligently will all of our vendors to ensure a consistent message..."

7. Jan 3, 2006 #7 of 19
    mphare

mphare New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    That is not a picture of an R15

And I don't think you can blame DTV for this. If it were up to them, then words TiVo and any associated cutie picture of the TiVo guy would be eraticated from the face of the earth.

8. Jan 3, 2006 #8 of 19
    weymo

weymo timeshifter

Jan 26, 2003
    Atlanta
  9. Jan 4, 2006 #9 of 19
    youngdr

youngdr New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Atlanta GA
  10. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    yah, well that is just the name of a URL page...

The contents of the page, don't say TiVo anymore...
    (Aka, this is just laziness on the part's of their web programmers)

The <Title> should be fixed though

11. Kanyon71

Kanyon71 New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Tampa Fl
    Actually it's live TV in that little window in the upper corner.

What I think is funny in one pic they show the DirecTivo and in the other picture they show the R15. The description is a mix of both also, what else is sort of strange they say they are a division of Circuit City but in the about us page it doesn't mention them at all and neither does the BBB website.

12. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    Live TV is a cool feature while browsing the to do list, search for shows to record, etc. Wish Directivo had it.

13. Kanyon71

Kanyon71 New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Tampa Fl
    Ya it's kind of cool, I watch things while messing around in the menus. Also by Live TV I actually meant anything being currently sent to the TV either a Live broadcast or something you are watching that was recorded previously.

14. weymo

weymo timeshifter

Jan 26, 2003
    Atlanta
  15. weymo

weymo timeshifter

Jan 26, 2003
    Atlanta

Fri Jan 6, 8:58 AM ET

EchoStar Communications Corp. (Nasdaq:DISH - news) chief executive Charles Ergen on Thursday said he expects no settlement in its legal battle with TiVo Inc. (Nasdaq:TIVO - news) and expects the suit to proceed to the courts.

TiVo and EchoStar, the No. 2 U.S. satellite television service, sued each other, each claiming the other infringed patents related to Digital Video Recorders, television set-top boxes that allow users to save programs to a built-in computer hard drive.

Asked if there was a chance of a settlement, Ergen, who was attending a press conference at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, said, "I really don't think so."

"We were doing DVR long before they did. We believe they violated our patent. We didn't violate theirs," he told Reuters.

Two years ago TiVo filed a suit accusing EchoStar of violating a 1998 patent and is seeking an injunction against new sales of DVRs by EchoStar, which filed a countersuit in May of last year.

TiVo shares fell 8 cents to $5.15 in Thursday's Nasdaq trading, while EchoStar shares fell 12 cents to $28.50.

original article:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060106...DehX0ZU.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

16. juggalojoe

juggalojoe New Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Wow Brave to say the least

17. ping

ping New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Circuit City (at least the one I visited) is doing pretty much the same thing in their stores. R15 on display with a peanut remote next to it. Not a R10 anywhere to be found.

Edited just to add, this is all premeditated. First they slowly "unbranded" the "DirecTV with TiVo" (changing it to "DirecTV DVR", changing "TiVo Central" to "DirecTV Central", losing the TiVo guy animation, changing the TiVo button on the remote to a DirecTV button, etc.) Then calling the new box "R15" as though it is some sort of superset update to "R10", rather than going to a completely new nomenclature. They are actively encouraging the confusion.

18. jlib

jlib Lean Forward

Nov 21, 2002
    Carmel...
    If TiVo is not aggressively fighting the generic use of their trademark that means it is in danger of falling into common usage in the future like aspirin, cellophane, nylon, thermos, escalator and other former trademarks. They should particularly be concerned about it turning into a verb.

19. slacker9876

slacker9876 New Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Colorful...
    I like the TiVo, but the the Ucentric software on the Motorola 6412 is WAY faster and responsive then my HR10-250 ever was... it died today (RIP).

The use of the logo by anyone is not really fair to TiVo, but in their defense, "tivo" is the generic term for a DVR ... and I hope the series 3 kicks ass!