TiVo Begins Rollout of Online Services Now Accessible Directly on the TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mfrns0123, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Dec 1, 2005 #1 of 226
    mfrns0123

mfrns0123 New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Chicago
    Discover New Music, Buy Movie Tickets, Enjoy Podcasts, and View Shared Photos from Your TV
    12/1/2005 6:30:27 AM

ALVISO, Calif., Dec 01, 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- TiVo Inc. (TIVO), the creator of and a leader in television services for digital video recorders (DVR), announced today the rollout of a host of new online services that deliver timely entertainment and information directly to the television set. Now, TiVo subscribers with a TiVo(R) Series2(TM) DVR connected to their home network will find accessing local movie listings and tickets, discovering music, listening to podcasts, and even viewing shared Yahoo! Photos plus their local traffic and weather as convenient and easy as using their TiVo(R) remote.

"TiVo forever changed the way people watch TV, making it easy to find and record your favorite programs," said Tom Rogers, President and CEO, TiVo Inc. "Now we're extending that ease-of-use to enable our subscribers to easily discover and enjoy online services directly on their television sets."

"We are excited to partner with TiVo to bring Yahoo!'s leading Internet services to consumers on their TVs," said Marco Boerries, senior vice president of the connected life business unit, Yahoo!. "Yahoo! is dedicated to extending our services beyond the desktop to give our millions of users access to their content and information, whenever and however they want it."

Starting today TiVo will begin the rollout to subscribers with a broadband-connected Series2(TM) DVR. The new features are included as part of the standard TiVo(R) service.

TiVo has partnered with leaders in broadband services, like Yahoo!, Fandango, and Live365 to ensure the best content as well as the ease and convenience subscribers expect from the TiVo(R) service. With the initial set of services, subscribers will enjoy all this right from their TV:

-- View both their own photo slideshows and those shared by friends with
    Yahoo! Photos, the world's most popular online photo service.
    -- Check local weather and traffic from Yahoo!
    -- Browse movie information in the living room to discover what's playing
    at local theaters and buy advance tickets from Fandango, the nation's
    largest movie ticketing service.
    -- Discover great new music on Live365, the largest Internet radio
    network, offering hundreds of stations in every genre and format, new
    and old, from all over the world.
    -- Listen to thought-provoking and entertaining talk shows with the new
    Podcast feature.

"We're thrilled to be working with TiVo," says Art Levitt, President and CEO of Fandango. "With this exciting new collaboration, consumers can make their moviegoing decisions from the comfort of their living rooms. This alliance furthers our goal of ubiquitous consumer access and to help make the moviegoing experience as easy and convenient as possible."

"TiVo and Live365 represent a great combination," added David Porter, GM of Business Development for Live365. "Both services give people the ability to take control of their media, tuning into what they want and even discovering something new. We're pleased to be part of this inaugural online services rollout."

Subscribers can learn more about these features and sign up for the priority list found at www.tivo.com/online to ensure the features are delivered to their boxes as soon as possible.

For more information, including information on where TiVo can be purchased, please visit www.tivo.com.

About TiVo Inc.

Founded in 1997, TiVo Inc. pioneered a brand new category of products with the development of the first commercially available digital video recorder (DVR). Sold through leading consumer electronic retailers, TiVo has developed a brand which resonates boldly with consumers as providing a superior television experience. Through agreements with leading satellite and cable providers, TiVo also integrates its full set of DVR service features into the set-top boxes of mass distributors. TiVo's DVR functionality and ease of use, with such features as Season Pass(TM) recordings and WishList(R) searches, has elevated its popularity among consumers and has created a whole new way for viewers to watch television. With a continued investment in its patented technologies, TiVo is revolutionizing the way consumers watch and access home entertainment. Rapidly becoming the focal point of the digital living room, TiVo's DVR is at the center of experiencing new forms of content on the TV, such as broadband delivered video, music and photos. With innovative features such as, TiVoToGo(TM) and online scheduling, TiVo is expanding the notion of consumers experiencing "TiVo, TV your way." The TiVo(R) service is also at the forefront of providing innovative marketing solutions for the television industry, including a unique platform for advertisers and audience measurement research. The company is based in Alviso, Calif.

This release contains certain forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements relate to, among other things, TiVo's business, services, product development, technology or other factors that may affect future earnings or financial results. Forward-looking statements generally can be identified by the use of forward-looking terminology such as, "believe," "expect," "may," "will," "intend," "estimate," "continue," or similar expressions or the negative of those terms or expressions. Such statements involve risks and uncertainties, which could cause actual results to vary materially from those expressed in or indicated by the forward-looking statements. Factors that may cause actual results to differ materially include delays in development, competitive service offerings and lack of market acceptance, as well as those factors described under "Factors That May Affect Future Operating Results" included from time to time in the Company's public reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended January 31, 2005 and the Company's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarters ended April 30, 2005 and July 31, 2005. We caution you not to place undue reliance on forward-looking statements, which reflect an analysis only and speak only as of the date hereof. TiVo disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.

NOTE: TiVo, TiVoToGo, Series2, and the TiVo Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of TiVo Inc.'s subsidiaries worldwide. All other company or product names mentioned may be trademarks or registered trademarks of the respective companies with which they are associated.

Movie information and showtimes provided by Tribune Media Services, Inc.

About Yahoo!

Yahoo! Inc. is the No. 1 Internet brand globally and the most trafficked Internet destination worldwide. Yahoo! provides online products and services essential to consumers' lives, and offers a full range of tools and marketing solutions for businesses to connect with Internet users around the world. Yahoo! is headquartered in Sunnyvale, Calif.

About Fandango

Fandango, the nation's largest movie ticketing service, sells tickets to approximately 13,000 screens and 1,100 theaters (nearly 70 percent of theaters in the U.S. enabled for remote ticketing) and to four out of the five largest U.S. theater circuits (according to National Association of Theater Owners, June 2005). A consortium of the nation's largest theater chains (including Regal Entertainment Group, Carmike Cinemas, Cinemark, Loews Cineplex Entertainment and Century Theatres, among others), Fandango sells tickets to more screens than all of its competitors combined. One of the Web's top movie destinations (according to Nielsen//NetRatings), Fandango allows moviegoers to quickly select a film, plan where and when to see it, read reviews, view trailers and buy tickets up to 45 days in advance. Fandango is available at www.fandango.com, 1-800-FANDANGO and via your wireless device at mobile.fandango.com.

About Live365

With thousands of stations and 3m monthly listeners, Live365 is the largest Internet radio network, offering listeners an unparalleled choice in music and other audio content. Live365 differs from other music and radio services in that it allows people to create a playlist from their own music collection and share it with others through free, radio-style streaming. Live365 also provides best-of-class steaming and advertising services for a wide range of professional clients. Stations can be accessed on live365.com, Apple iTunes, Windows Media Player and a growing number of home and mobile devices. Launched in July 1999, Live365 is the winner of the People's Voice at the Webby Awards for Best Music Site (2001, 2002) and Best Radio Site (2004).

SOURCE TiVo Inc.

http://www.prnewswire.com

2. Dec 1, 2005 #2 of 226
    mfrns0123

mfrns0123 New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Chicago
  3. Dec 1, 2005 #3 of 226
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Thanks for the heads up :up:

and on a Thanks for listening and acting on it to TiVo/TiVoJerry
    I notice you can now copy the TSN with dashes from your account page right into the form. :up: :up: :up:

Question for clarification though
    the form says no spaces but does not mention dashes. Can you leave the dashes in and hit submit now or do you still need to delete the dashes?
    the example shows no dashes so I would suggest that everyone deletes the dashes unless we hear otherwise.

4. Dec 1, 2005 #4 of 226
    macmatt

macmatt New Member

Oct 20, 2005
  5. Dec 1, 2005 #5 of 226
    lajohn27

lajohn27 Fanboi.. So what?

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    The page says first come first served.. so I would guess the longer you wait.. the longer it will take. From past experience, most priority forms submissions are usually met with in three days depending on volume of submissions.

J

6. Dec 1, 2005 #6 of 226
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    it is usually 2 to 3 business days. TiVo has never hooked up their back office systems so the priority entries have to be manually loaded into the rollout system.

this rollout is odd though as usually there is a limited random rollout and people that hit on the random usually post here about it. Then a TiVo employee usually posts here to give the forum a shot at getting on the list before they put it on the main web page.

that did not happen with this rollout and we mfrns0123 to thank for the heads up. I assume they are actually sending out updates and thus assume the 2 days or so to get the update.

7. Dec 1, 2005 #7 of 226
    TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    Alviso,...
    The earlier you get on the list, the better. :)

When we launch new software, services, etc we always make certain that we're getting a good feel for the impact on our customer support team. As a result we typically take a mix of people on the priority list as well as a random distribution of subscribers. So even though you sign up for the list it is possible that you'll hear from your neighbor that they got it as well. The list means that you'll get the new stuff earlier than most people...that you'll be at the front of the wave. But not that you're first in line.

After all, if we only used the priority list, only the forum folk would have it the first week. And I'd guess that the people here don't require the same level of support as a typical customer...you guys already know everything! So...the phones would be quiet for a couple of weeks. Then we'd hit 'regular' subscribers (non-priority list). And we wouldn't have any idea of what to expect.

So get on the list! www.tivo.com/online. :D

Pony

8. Dec 1, 2005 #8 of 226
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    BTW, this stuff looks like an awesome first rollout of what HME can do. My winter project will be to finally organize all the digital photos.

and check out what podcasts are out there.

9. Dec 1, 2005 #9 of 226
    TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    Alviso,...
    Well, that depends on when you get on the list!

We're typically pretty conservative early on in any rollout. We stick to the plan...so if the priority list signup outstrips the total planned rollout for any given time some people will have to wait a bit. As we get a feel for how things are going we may choose to accelerate the rollout, but typically we do that for small changes or bug fixes.

The plan is for everyone to be updated over several weeks. So if you want to have these apps for Christmas...the best shot is to get on the list!

Note that you do need a Series2 standalone DVR connected to broadband to receive the new online services. Integrated DIRECTV/TiVo systems and Series1 systems do not have these services.

Cheers,
    Pony

10. Dec 1, 2005 #10 of 226
    macmatt

macmatt New Member

Oct 20, 2005
    I signed up...I was hoping it would be instant, so I could listen to my favorite podcast on it right now.

- Matthew Marshall
    www.matthewmarshall.net

11. Dec 1, 2005 #11 of 226
    simonalope

simonalope New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    People's...
    Is this a software update (ie, new software version number and need to reboot), or just a question of having a certain option enabled in your account (like having transfers enabled or not)?
    From the priority list page, sounds like the latter, but I'm just checking.

12. Dec 1, 2005 #12 of 226
    jstr

jstr New Member

Sep 25, 2005
    This is a great new feature! Thank you TiVo! I love to see that TiVo is getting very serious about adding new features and services. It seems that we are getting new announcements almost daily for the past week or so. This TiVo/Yahoo agreement is already producing great features and has potential for far more.

This is great for us TiVo users and is exactly what TiVo needs to separate itself from the competition. By the time TiVo's HD/cable card units hit the market, TiVo will blow away anything that the cable/satellite companies have to offer. If this is the direction that the new TiVo CEO is taking, then I'm very happy and looking forward to what's ahead.

13. Dec 1, 2005 #13 of 226
    TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    Alviso,...
    Although the priority page talks about new software, everything you need is in the 7.2.1 software. The process is authorizing and configuring your account on our side to allow your DVR to have access to the apps. All driven by the service. But if you're running 7.2.1 there's no new software required.

Cheers,
    Pony

14. Dec 1, 2005 #14 of 226
    TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    Alviso,...
    Oh, and in addition to signing up on the priority list, you should check into Yahoo, Fandango, and Live365 accounts too. :)

Pony

15. Dec 1, 2005 #15 of 226
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Any word on when/if Flickr will be supported? I always figured Yahoo Photos were destined for the grave (either superceded by or integrated with Flickr), but now I wonder how that's going to play out... :)

16. Dec 1, 2005 #16 of 226
    jkovach

jkovach TiVoing since 1999!

Feb 17, 2000
    Gilbert, AZ USA
    Well, I just checked out Fandango's website, and was wondering why I had never heard of them. Turns out they don't support ticket sales for the 2 major chains of movie theaters in the metro Phoenix area (AMC and Harkins). :(

Hopefully down the road another app will be made available that uses movietickets.com instead.

Jeff

17. Dec 1, 2005 #17 of 226
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Ah, that explains why this is different "rollout". Not as much need for testing and caution on the TiVo box side of things.

18. Dec 1, 2005 #18 of 226
    EwanG

EwanG New Member

Oct 14, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Count me as another user who'd like to be able to access his Flickr through this. Though I have all the same photos on my PC, but without the Tags and Titles that would make them fun for the rest of the family.

19. Dec 1, 2005 #19 of 226
    TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    Actually, that was my team -- originally Dan203 gave us the Javascript code for error-checking the TSNs (15 digits, only 0-9 and A-F, only certain prefixes), since our first version of the priority form didn't do any error checking, Dan just volunteered.

But based on the feedback here, one of our program managers had a developer update the code to strip out the dashes.

So, feel free to paste in your TSNs with dashes, and go ahead and hit submit -- the dashes are now stripped out automatically.

I updated the examples to show you can either use dashes or leave them out.

Enjoy the new online services!

Best regards,
    Stephen

20. Dec 1, 2005 #20 of 226
    huhwha

huhwha New Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Is there any hope us poor stepchildren (integrated users) will ever see this?