Tivo Beacon! =(

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by jpwoof, Jan 19, 2006.

1. jpwoof

jpwoof New Member

May 19, 2004
    San...
    I have installed TivoDesktop today.

All connection to TiVo and Internet works fine. But whenever I reboot my PC, my TivoBeacon (that little tivo icon on the system tray) disappears and my TiVo no longer have access to my computer.

If I re-install TiVodesktop. TivoBeacon will re-appear and things will work again.

How can this be fixed?

Thanks!

2. jpwoof

jpwoof New Member

May 19, 2004
    San...
    So uninstalled Galleon and somehow it did the trick.. Why? they're not compatible with each other?

3. audioscience

audioscience OG Lurker

Feb 10, 2005
    New England
    Not sure what your problem is/was but for me whenever I can't see my computer from my Tivo I go into Tivo Desktop and click on "Server" and then "Start/Resume" and that will load Tivo Beacon back up and give me access.

That's likely all you needed to do. But I don't run Galleon so I wouldn't know about that.

4. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    I have had the same issues listed above. Sometimes opening Tivo Desktop and restarting the server didn't work. Then I would just restart the PC and everything would be fine again. I guess the desktop can crash occasionally.

5. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I've had numerous issues with TiVo Desktop, whether I ran Galleon or not. On one installation, TiVo Server would not start, no matter what I did.

On the current installation, I have to do what audioscience describes above: go in and start TiVo Desktop and click "Start/Resume". The autostart on XP bootup never works.

I've never had any system problems with Galleon, save a memory issue with the iTunes app. To be honest, I'm not even sure why I still run TiVo Desktop. :)

6. sschr

sschr New Member

Jun 20, 2005
    I was having similar problems with Tivo Beacon. I went into the Services under the Control Panel and set the Tivo Beacon to start automatically. It appears my install didn't do that. When the Tivo Beacon program starts, it waits for the Service to start, and will continue to wait until it starts. Once I changed my Services, the Beacon comes up without any problems.