Tivo automatically tunes to channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Jinkx, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Jinkx

Jinkx New Member

Dec 29, 2018

Advertisements

Hello Everyone, I didn't see my question after doing several searches. I am sorry if I missed it.

I am new to Tivo. I primarily watch sports. The problem I am having is that the Tivo box is tuned to a channel when I first turn my TV on. I don't want it to be on anything when I turn the TV on because it may be on and in the middle of the game I am wanting to watch which is a problem for me.

In general, I would rather it not be on anything until I choose what to watch. I called tech support. They told me to turn off suggestions. It is still doing it after the suggestions were turned off.

As a workaround, I have turned off video playing in the background and am hitting the guide button before I turn the tv on. I am not crazy about this solution though.

Just yesterday I planned to watch the game. I got home an hour after the game started. I turned on the tv and it was on ESPN which was scrolling all the game scores. I quickly paused it and started my recorded game.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Before powering on your TV, select a channel, by number, that will never have sports. For me, that world be 4 (PBS). Even 0 would work.

dfreybur, Jinkx and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  3. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    There is no way to prevent this aside from what Joe just recommended. You could get a TiVo Mini and hook that up to your primary TV and move your TiVo to another location in your home. TiVo Minis by default will start with no active viewing window if it has been inactive for more than 4 hours or you hit the TiVo button on the remote before turning the tv off.

Mikeguy and Jinkx like this.
  4. Jinkx

Jinkx New Member

Dec 29, 2018
    Thank you guys for the information. I thought it might be a workaround that would be needed but I was hoping there was a setting that could be changed.

If anyone else has a process that they like to use to avoid this issue please post it. One issue I also have is that I use a harmony remote, an apple tv, and a media center pc which are all set up in activities. Sadly I will have to turn the tv off prior to changing the activity from the pc or apple tv to the Tivo. If I just change the activity it will start directly into whatever the Tivo is playing. Maybe I can add a command to my Harmony Elite to change the channel as part of the activity.

PSU_Sudzi and JoeKustra like this.
  5. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas

Advertisements

Harmony used to allow you to pick a channel to tune to at the start of an activity.

Even if that's not available, you could add the channel numbers to the start of the activity.

Another option is to use KMTTG to tune a channel prior to turning on the TiVo. Or starting a recording.

-KP

Jinkx likes this.
  6. Jinkx

Jinkx New Member

Dec 29, 2018
    I just checked. Harmony has an option to add a command to the sequence. I added Tivo home to the sequence and I have background play off. So it starts on the home page with nothing playing. Everything works great now.

One other issue I have noticed the last couple days is that when the Tivo is left on the main Tivo screen for a prolonged period of time it starts playing on its own in this scenario as well. Are there any options for this type of situation and is this normal?

Mikeguy likes this.
  7. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    This is normal, to prevent screen burn-in of the text (I assume? Do modern monitors/TVs still suffer from the old CRT disease??)

My habit is to always press the TiVo button on my remote before hitting the TV power button. I've usually left the tuner on a channel which I wouldn't fear spoilers from, but it annoys me to be hit with the audio in the middle of dialog or, even worse, a commercial. I bless the silence of my TiVo home screen, and never understand why my housemates don't do the same -- I scramble for the mute if they haven't "homed" the TiVo first.

8. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    What model do you have? I assume one with 4 or more tuners
    I always leave mine on a station that unless I have all 4 tuners being used (Roamio) it wont switch off Weather Nation. I made sure that was on tuner 0 (diagnostic screen tells you that) so the other 3 tuners will change unless you have 4 things at same time

9. Jinkx

Jinkx New Member

Dec 29, 2018
    I have the Bolt Plus 6 tuner. I have been recording multiple channels so it may be using up all six. I certainly don't like this type of functionality. I like the Bolt overall but this can be annoying. My wife fell asleep in the living room. She complained to me that the Tivo kept coming on by itself. She is not technical at all and does not understand. The media center works well but will lose support at some point. The Channels TV app works fairly well but hangs when trying to fast forward which is very irritating. Nothings perfect.

10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Came on by itself? You are only putting it in the main menu. You can put it in standby and it won’t come on.

Though why would you have the tv on if you don’t want the TiVo to “come on by itself?”

kpeters59 likes this.
  11. Jinkx

Jinkx New Member

Dec 29, 2018
    That is helpful. Thank you. I will force it to standby mode. As for leaving the TV on...It is just a habit. The apple tv has really nice screensavers. We have gotten used to just leaving it on all the time. I haven't noticed degradation but it is a bad habit.

12. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Go to settings and turn off view video window, something like that. Now choose the Tivo button to start the Tivo and it will go to the menu without anything playing. No need for the tv to be off.

If you don't want to turn off the video window select the Tivo button and quickly select pause. You will be in the Menu page and the little video window will be paused or vice versa, just don't look at it.

13. Jinkx

Jinkx New Member

Dec 29, 2018
    I have programmed my Harmony to make the Tivo go into Standby if I long press the menu (tivo) button. The command works well. Thanks everyone.

TonyD79 likes this.
  14. dfreybur

dfreybur Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    The Tivo is a TV viewing device. Its idle mode has always been live TV from one of its tuners. The only way out of that is to get a model with no tuners. Or to keep putting it in standby mode. Having a Tivo it makes no sense to turn it off just because you don't want to watch live TV. Live TV is what Tivo's are FOR. That's like getting a car as a piece of furniture.

I get that some device by some other company behaves differently but to be very blunt, Tivo behavior is and always has been better. It's why we have them and this is Tivo Community Forum so we are supposed to be biased here. Different is not worse and like that other device is not better.