Tivo Audio Output Specs

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by lillevig, Dec 25, 2011.

1. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I have checked for specs on the audio output of the Tivo S1 RCA jacks but can't find any info. What I want to do is to run audio to a set of earbuds. The TV has RCA audio outputs but I need to crank the volume way up to hear it. I briefly tried the earbuds on the Tivo RCA outputs and it was plenty loud. I have a headphone adapter on order that includes a volume control but I'd feel better if I knew that I wasn't going to overdrive the Tivo audio out with the low impedance of the earbuds.

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Gotta link to that adapter, or a brand and model number?

3. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    It's the Koss VC20. I decided to get one that I can plug the headset or ear buds into instead of a new headset or ear buds that come with a volume control. Just for fun I dragged an old unsub TCD240 S2 out of the closet and tried it. The audio was definitely at a much lower level than from the S1. Don't have an o-scope anymore so I can't measure it. I do have the amplifier from an old set of computer speakers so maybe I'll wire that up to a headphone jack just to make sure the Tivo is driving a high impedance load. A lot of work just to be able to hear the TV while I'm pedaling my exercise bike. :rolleyes:

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I realise it would involve spending money, but perhaps wireless headphones would be the way to go. The inputs on the base unit should be sufficiently high impedence to avoid loading the output of the TiVo overly much.

5. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Hey, I didn't get rich by spending money. :D

Actually, I did find that old amplifier in my junk box and wired it up. I already had a 3.5mm cable run along the baseboard from the TV to the necessary location so that's not an issue. Now I just need to find or build a little project box to stuff the amp in.