TiVo asks customers about live iPad streaming

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by Pine Cladding, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Pine Cladding

Pine Cladding Large member (Ooer!)

Aug 4, 2001
    Fareham, UK

Advertisements

Interesting read for those who have or are going to get an iPad:

TiVo asks customers about live iPad streaming

2. jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    While I love the idea I still find hotel Wifi services far too expensive. :(

3. deshepherd

deshepherd New Member

Nov 30, 2000
    Bristol, UK
    Depends on the hotel ... free wifi is starting to become more common. Only issue though is would their be enough bandwidth! Also, I'd be more interested if they didn't go down the "there is one media access device and its name is iPad" route

4. jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    totally agree. ipad's are far too expensive at the moment. You can get a comparable notebook for the same or less money.

5. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006

Advertisements

Except a notebook isn't comparable, but let's no go there...

6. richw

richw New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Bath, UK
    I very nearly ordered one a few minutes ago at £149 plus a 2 year data contract. Then came to my senses and realised I don't actually have a need for one.

7. sammyh25

sammyh25 New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Great idea. Was streaming TiVo to my iPad in Hong Kong a few days ago using Slingbox and it worked really well, even with a painfully slow hotel connection Even better if I could ditch the middleman and stream directly from TiVo.

8. jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    T-Mobile offered me one for £99, until I worked out how much I would be forking out per month for the data contract.

Like you I came to my senses before hitting the buy button. :)

9. tdenson

tdenson New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Leeds
    Free is more common than not these days.

10. HinckleyScott

HinckleyScott New Member

May 1, 2003
    Seattle,...
    It is a bit ironic that the "Motel 6" type places are much more likely to offer free WiFi than any of the nicer chain hotels "Hilton/Sheraton/etc", which tend to charge $10-$20/day.

11. ColinYounger

ColinYounger It wasn't me.

Aug 9, 2006
    Southsea,...
    FWIW, TravelLodge recently announced they were dropping their WiFi charges.

12. deshepherd

deshepherd New Member

Nov 30, 2000
    Bristol, UK
    But I doubt they'll have the bandwidth for everyone (or perhaps at most one person) to be streaming at the same time!

13. Johnny_boy

Johnny_boy New Member

Nov 19, 2000
    Edinburgh,...
    The big issue here is only Apple can build iPads so they are built to a particular spec whereas android runs on underpowered tablets as well as ones capable of displaying video. If android was a particular standard then maybe it would be supported more but can you imagine the threads consisting of people with cheap android tablets not being to stream video?

I'm no apple fan but I do have an iPhone and iPad, and I knew from the outset all apps would work on them. My mate bought a cheap android tablet and he doesn't even have access to the app store and most apps won't run on it even when he copies them on.

I know android users bang on about why iPad?.... VHS was more common than Betamax but for quality Betamax won hands down, popularity isn't necessarily synonymous with quality

14. laurence@key2.co

laurence@key2.co Loz

Jun 17, 2007
    Croydon
    I've been thinking of going back to the S1 once I'm out of contract. If they implement this, I'm keeping it!