Tivo as Cable Box??

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by colecaz, Jan 1, 2012.

1. colecaz

colecaz New Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Can I buy a Tivo unit and install a Cox cable card and use it as a digital cable box without subscribing to Tivo??

Searches for this issue don't turn up anything.

2. Kevin D42

Kevin D42 Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Yes. But it will function as a cable box only (ie no DVR features)

3. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    plus it will nag you frequently about needing to subscribe.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    You may want to search again. There are lots of threads on this. My understanding is that this ability has changed to some extent recently- trick play abilities may have been removed in this scenario.

5. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    But it still works fine as a cable box if all you want is live TV, and it's a whole lot cheaper than renting one over time.

You don't notice the nag if you set banners to go away quickly, it's just a blip on the screen when you change channels.

6. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    It will work but you do not get any information about the channel you are watching, when cable card ready HDTVs first came out (and TiVo did not have a HD-DVR) I put a cable card into the TV and my wife found it a pain because you did not know what you were watching, after a few months I gave up that idea and got a cable co DVR until TiVo came out with their HD-DVR. On my Comcast system the non DVR cable box is only about $2 more a month than the cable card itself, and you get On Demand, so without a sub TiVo I would go that way.

7. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Um, it's a cheap live TV box, who cares about that stuff. No one expects a guide or even current program info, they just want to be able to tune all the channels you get without paying for a Tivo sub (or the full rental price for an HD STB).

This is no different than the old 'cable-ready TV' analog days.

8. takeshi

takeshi Member

Jul 22, 2010
    You're confusing your preference with that of everyone else. There is a distinct and important difference there that you're glossing over. Be careful using "no one" where you should be using "I". It's clearly obvious that the poster just prior to you completely disagrees. I do as well. I haven't seen the OP's statement on the matter.

9. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    LOL, it's a $75 box that you're using to bypass rental fees, that's all it is. Can't expect much when you're going cheap.