Tivo as a client

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by v6alfa, Dec 6, 2011.

1. v6alfa

v6alfa New Member

Dec 6, 2011
    I have two tivo's working great. I wanted to add a third in a room with no cable, but has cat5 network. Is it possible to buy and not activate a tivo and use it only to play existing recordings of the other Tivos? I wouldnt need any guides or season passes, just need to be able to browse to the other tivos content.

I couldnt find the answer to this, so sorry if its a repeat question. feel free to link another thread if it exists.

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Short answer is no. You need a sub even if you just want to use the MRV features.

3. brentil

brentil Member

Sep 9, 2011
    The TiVo Preview is this in essence but there has been no indications that it will be made available to retail, only cable providers at this point. It would also only work with the Premiere series devices too.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    What makes a TiVo a TiVo is really the TiVo software they wrote for it, and in order to be licensed to use that software you have to pay them via a subscription.*

By software I'm not referring to the Linux based open source stuff they adapted as an operating system for the hardware, but the stuff that's specifically TiVo.

*One way to pay them via subscription is to have a lifetime subscription.

I've got a lifetimed Series 2 that has a single tuner which is one more tuner than it can use because it's sitting on top of the refrigerator along with a small television and nowhere near a cable outlet.

But it has a Wireless G adapter (it's also nowhere near any Ethernet cables), so I can copy shows from other TiVos or computers on the network and watch them while I wash dishes or chop vegetables or any of that other kitchen-y stuff.

Of course on Dec. 24th I'll have to run a temporary RF cable to it so it can record "It's A Wonderful Life" on NBC so that TiVo makes a donation to Toys for Tots.

5. v6alfa

v6alfa New Member

Dec 6, 2011
    thats too bad. I had gotten the impression that people who stopped subscriptions were able to view existing recordings watch live tv/cable with a 30 minute buffer. Hopefully the make a retail version of their client device thats being used with the cable companies.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    They can view existing recordings that are on that TiVo unit, they just can't import/export.