Tivo arrived and Doesn't Work

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by GeorgeHReme, Aug 21, 2007.

1. GeorgeHReme

GeorgeHReme Level 2 Tivo Fairy

Feb 25, 2007
    Woe is me! My new Series 3 TiVo does not work! Here's what happened:

-I got everything configured, including HDMI cable to the TV, cable, phone line, etc. without plugging in the power

-I plug in the power, and NOTHING happens. It hums and sounds all right, but I don't see the little Tivo guy on the OLED like the directions say. Repeating the process still doesn't make it work. Angrily I go to sleep, with the problem still unresolved.

Lo and behold, next morning I have everything unplugged, plug in the power, and it *seems* to work. Hurriedly I put it back in the cabinet and start putting things back in. But for some reason...it needs to be plugged in repeatedly to work (for the lights on the front to come on, is my yardstick here). I am also not getting any feedback through the TV (i.e. menus, etc.). So, finally I try it with everything plugged in, and the damn thing does nothing but hum, just like before!

...I don't know if this makes a difference, but I didn't register the product before using it. I have a lifetime subscription card, so I thought "smoke that" when I thought of associating it with this POS...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-George

2. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    I seriously don't think there's any help to be had.

3. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Does this mean that you were able to see the Tivo screens on your TV, or that it just started humming again?

Are you sure that you have your TV switched to the proper hdmi input? And that the hdmi cables are properly set.

4. GeorgeHReme

Feb 25, 2007
    jrm01, I definitely had it on the HDMI input. I also tried a yellow video cord on another input, just to be sure. To be clear, though, I never saw a TiVo screen at all throughout the entire process. The best I managed was to have the little TiVo guy appear on the front, with all four lights a-blaze. But then nothing.

One thought I had was that, because it wasn't registered and I had another TiVo registered through the phone line (my series 2), that it shut itself down as a anti-piracy measure or something when I plugged in the phone line. Does that make sense, or is TiVo not that diabolical yet?

Thanks for your help!

-George

5. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    No, you do not have to subscribe before configuring (I think you have 7 days). You should get Tivo into screen, be able to run guided setup, and even view 3 video clips that Tivo puts on your box.

There is something preventing the video (and I presume sound) from getting to the tv. When you tried the yellow cable did you also disconnect the hdmi, or just add the yellow on. If so, you should disconnect the hdmi cable completely and try the yellow by itself.

6. GeorgeHReme

Feb 25, 2007
    jrm01,

I tried it with just the yellow cord, but to no avail. I have decided I'm going to ship it back, because it only randomly seems to start up at all (and by that I mean have the lights on, Tivo guy in front). My assumption, of course, is that I should always see those things when I plug it in--not that big of a leap, in my mind. Additionally, I found that when I tipped the box a little (because I am in the midst of putting it into the cabinet, this wasn't so hard to do) on an occasion when it was actually WORKING, the lights went out abruptly. My sense is that there is probably something internally loose. Regardless, I am not going to waste my time on something that should have worked out of the box in this respect.

I am crestfallen. I have waited so long, and now I find the device doesn't even work. Ugh...well, anyway, thanks for your help.

-George

7. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Yup, it sounds like its time to return it. Good luck with your replacement.

8. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Admittedly this will sound dumb, but I don't mean it offensively.

Check the power cord plugged into the back of the TiVo. On some of my boxes, I've found that the power cord has to be pushed in firmly - you'll think it's all the way in, but it's loose. Can't recall off the top of my head which of my boxes were like this - many were different - but if the power cord is loose you'll get intermittant power. Intially you'll have lights come on the display, but when my box isn't doing anything at all, it displays the clock (and I think the navigation buttons on the box itself glow).

9. GeorgeHReme

Feb 25, 2007
    Dear TiVotion,

No offense taken! Though your suggestion did make me think of that movie with the guy from Shaun of the Dead (Simon Pegg) in Big Nothing working at a technical support center and asking politely "Have you checked to see that your computer is on?" As it were, I did make sure to check that, having discovered your little gem myself years ago with a finicky VCR.

Alas, it was indeed the TiVo's own inexpliable problem, which I promptly returned in favor of a shiny new TiVoHD from BestBuy...mmm...hurray! And, look! Wow, I can make out the individual expressions on those kuala bears in HD! Whoo!

Thanks for your suggestions, guys.

--George