TiVo App - Get New Experience - option to remove it

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Zonker007, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Zonker007

Zonker007 Member

Oct 3, 2015

Advertisements

Ted if you are by chance reading this please understand that not everyone is looking for a new experience yet. In fact I'm happy with the old experience and just like it that way currently. Now I have a new "Get New Experience" app that is persistent and unable to be hidden like all the other apps I have no interest in. The problem is someone may not understand the ramifications of clicking this option in my home (pet sitter, house sitter, etc..) and may click though it out of curiosity. This would be a bad thing for me.

Is there any way you can make the option to deselect it like the other apps? This would be a great thing for those that are still digging the old experience while we wait to get experienced.. :)

Thanks,

Z

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Selecting that app does not start the process. You have to confirm, watch a video, confirm again.

Too bad it can't be protected with parental controls.

3. TivoJD

TivoJD Active Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Polk Co,...
    I have a box that I upgraded to new experience and then downgraded back to the old and I don't have the new experience app at all. I have a ticket open with TiVo that has been escalated for almost two weeks and nothing so far.

4. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Is this different from the one that was able to be deselected under the list of apps/video providers?

5. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014

Advertisements

Same problem with Apps, "Amazon Alexa" on a Roamio, no way to hide it.

The only thing this does is annoy the heck out of Customers. Lately I have been wondering how a company could end up doing something like that. Did they have a big meeting and vote yeah annoying is good ?

6. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    My bet is that they're getting paid for the Amazon link and they want to force the Get New Experience app to always be visible. But then again they do lots of other stupid stuff like outsourcing CS to the Philippines and never fixing guide data issues for good so who knows.

7. samccfl99

samccfl99 I Am Sometimes Vocal

Sep 7, 2013
    coconut...
    Well maybe another reason is that Tivo, Inc don't give a hoot (being nice) about what many of us have to say. There is NO reason that those THINGS cannot be controlled in MANAGE APPS. CASE CLOSED...Ridiculous...:rolleyes::D

and why no new Hydra updates???????????????????????????????

how will we determine when and if we want to go to it???????????????????????? :eek::mad::p:cool::D

8. tucsonbill

tucsonbill Member formerly known as cranky

Aug 11, 2004
    Tucson
    The "Get New Experience" app was added here a few days ago. I take it that if I decide to "upgrade" that there is no path to go back? Is the video sufficient to let you figure out whether you want this?

I suppose I could swap out the current drive and try it on a fresh one.

9. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Hydra works. It really doesn’t need updates.

10. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    You can go back, but it requires losing all recordings on the drive to go back

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Funny you posted that. If you install a new drive the upgrade app may not be installed. As for rollback: How to Rollback Hydra from Roamio and Mini's v1

There may be a video on the TiVo website. There is the user manual also: https://explore.tivo.com/content/dam/tivo/explore/how-to/TiVoExperience_VG.pdf which is a taste. On TCF there is no shortage of opinions in TE3 vs. TE4.

12. tucsonbill

Aug 11, 2004
    Tucson
    Good point. I guess I'll need to clone the drive -- I'm not sure a cloned drive won't just be formatted like a new one, but it's worth a try. A factory reset is a non starter. I'm not one of these people who saves everything he ever recorded, but I definitely don't want to lose the stuff I haven't watched yet. Thanks for the tip.

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This may not work as well as expected, especially if on a BOLT.

14. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    With the Roamio or Bolt, that's not going to help since the OS is on flash memory. The Bolt would wipe wipe the original or cloned drive when you put it back in as well. I'm not sure what the Roamio would do with the original/cloned drive though but it wouldn't get you back to the old UI.

Scott

15. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It depends how much you want TE4 on your new drive. I found one method that worked: I bought a VOX remote with the dongle. After pairing, which was easier than a Mini VOX, I hit the voice button and gave it permission to upgrade. My Mini VOX has a 3TB host and is very happy.

16. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston

Hydra is fundamentally broken until they fix file transfers from outside the Tivo walled garden in some form.

mattack likes this.
  17. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    No. It is not broken. It is designed that way. Stop claiming bugs that don’t exist. If my car doesn’t have XM, the XM isn’t broken.

Hydra works.

osu1991 likes this.
  18. tucsonbill

Aug 11, 2004
    Tucson
    Thanks Scott. In the back of my mind I guess I knew that. It's been awhile since I wanted to do anything with the roamio but watch it. I guess if there's anything I can't stand to lose I'll have to fire up TIVO desktop and transfer them to the media server. Assuming that still works -- haven't tried it for months.

HerronScott likes this.
  19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Umm, "the car" previously had XM, and XM was an advertised feature of the car.... to continue the analogy..

I only started using this (download off then put back on the Tivo) in recent years, but would GREATLY miss the feature.. it's a way I hugely expand my Tivo storage.

mrsean likes this.