TiVo App and iOS 9 public beta

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by tspofford, Aug 30, 2015.

1. tspofford

tspofford New Member

Feb 26, 2008

Advertisements

I get that Tivo isn't ready or willing to support a beta OS but if not, I really wish they'd stop accusing me of an "unauthorized modification" of the operating system. It's no such thing and the accusation is offensive and possibly actionable.

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    "offensive and actionable" you have to be kidding me...
    It's a beta OS, Tivo says it's not an officially released version in their view.

Tivo is correct, I fail to see the reason for the huffing and puffing and this has been covered many times before.

3. mkwilliams1

mkwilliams1 New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    In your mind, you can simply change the words "unauthorized modification of the operating system" to "unrecognized operating system." Problem solved. You should contact TiVo's legal counsel and recommend the wording change if it will make you feel better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    Oh, it's actionable. Aren't pouting and whining actions?

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

The beta likely has some debugging. Some software is designed to detect debuggers and treat them like threats. I'm sure once it's out of beta it will work fine.

6. sjsaliba

sjsaliba New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    I got tired of the bugs in iOS 9 beta and went back to iOS 8.4.

7. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Possibly longest stretch from "user join date" to first post I have ever seen, you've been here since 2006 and this was your first post!
    Welcome to the contribution side of the family!!!!:up::up::up:

8. ellinj

ellinj Seems Very Friendly TCF Club

Feb 26, 2002
    NoVa
    Anyone know if this is fixed in the iOS9 GM, or are we waiting for an update from TiVo?

9. jager24

jager24 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Still not working in IOS9 GM.

10. Nelson2009

Nelson2009 Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Boston, Ma
    that is not good OS 9 ready go next week Good thing i catch this I can stay on iOS 8.1 iPad Air.

11. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    iOS 9 GM is still a beta OS and flagged as such, I wouldn't even worry until a few days after the official iOS 9 is released to the public. "this is not good" is just you worrying about something that's behaving exactly as expected.

12. vbing

vbing New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    If you can find an old 3.5.3 version of the TiVo app, it will run with iOS 9 beta. I am downloading the 9.1 general beta now and assume the older version of the TiVo app will still work.

Looks like I might want to keep it around until after the official release of iOS 9.

13. ellinj

Feb 26, 2002
    NoVa

I think it is more of a case of sloppy programming then flagging a beta. I assume we will see an update to the app in the next few days before the GM becomes GA.

14. Nelson2009

Nelson2009 Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Boston, Ma
    bit of subject I'm start to wonder if we will see TiVo app for upcoming Apple TV TVos ? We already see Tivo app support Airplay but it would make sense to me to see Tivo app in apple tv
    Any thought ?

15. maury

maury New Member

Jan 8, 2012
    I'd love to know this also - would an Apple-TV specific app be available, or is iOS 9 on Apple-TV similar enough that the tablet app would work? Is there going to be a specific iTunes app store store for Apple TV vs the tablet or phone? Or does the app store work contextually?

16. ellinj

Feb 26, 2002
    NoVa
    I would think its possible we might see one, but at the rate Tivo moves it will be years.

17. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's been possible for them to create Roku or FireTV apps for years but they still haven't. I think if TiVo wanted to make streaming accessible to cheap streaming devices like this they would have done it by now. I think that the reason they lowered the price on the Mini is specifically to combat having to do this. They would rather you buy a Mini, which counts as a "sub", then have you use something like an AppleTV which does not.

Honestly if they could gain access to a few more apps on their system (HBO, ShowTime, updated Hulu) I think most people would be happy using a TiVo/Mini as their primary streaming device. But right now people are forced to have multiole devices to access all the available OTT services which makes the Mini have less if a value prospect then it mig otherwise.

18. Nelson2009

Nelson2009 Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Boston, Ma
    Dan
    that make sense about Tivo Mini. I love Apple TV I have not own Tivo mini but it is on the way and Roamio. But in my opinion that apple tv will be more quicker launch apps when users like open their favorite apps like hulu, hbo etc. So I have to see myself when i get Tivo mini but i plan on get new apple tv Like their accessible for my need.
    by the way I just read from 9to5mac.com they said Plex is coming to Apple TV that does surprised me. now apple tv have app store that might be reason here the link if anyone interesting check it out
    http://9to5mac.com/2015/09/12/popular-media-streaming-client-plex-is-coming-to-the-new-apple-tv/

19. tspofford

tspofford New Member

Feb 26, 2008

It was a joke - I've been running beta software since 1987 - but the issue is still there with the release version and tech support professes to be unfamiliar with the issue even though "it's been covered many times before."

20. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The number of people who would come in and say that totally seriously is surprisingly high and with no emoticon your statement is going to be treated at face value.