Tivo and Wifi

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by witchkitten, Jul 17, 2009.

1. witchkitten

witchkitten New Member

Mar 24, 2007

Advertisements

I have a question about the Tivo HD DVR and wifi. I would like to use the internet capabilities of the Tivo but I don't have any available ethernet ports to plug it in using a wired connection (everything I have uses wifi.) I know that there are wireless adapters for the Tivo DVR units and I want to know about the reliability. Has anyone heard of any major problems using wifi with Tivo? One feature that really attracts me to Tivo vs Cable DVR is the ability to steam Netflix. Are there any problems streaming Netflix over Wifi vs. wired? I have a fast enough connection so that shouldn't be a problem and my network is very reliable with all of my other devices (printer, phone, multiple computers, etc.) Thanks in advance.

2. s2kdave

s2kdave New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    I have the tivo adapter and it works well as long as your wifi signal is strong. It works well enough even if it's not for most functions, but netflix streaming will be a little lower quality if it's a weak signal. Sometimes the movie will pause if you wifi is bouncing up/down on strength. mine was going to the opposite end of the house through floors to the second story so I ended up switching to a powerline adapter that runs through wall power lines and I get a better quality netflix stream with that.

3. witchkitten

witchkitten New Member

Mar 24, 2007
    Thank you for the reply. My network is very stable and the signal strength is great for all of the devices currently on my network. The wireless router would also be in the same room as the Tivo box. Is there anyway to manually change the quality setting for the Netflix movies? I ask this because I sometimes watch them on my computer and although I have a very fast connection, sometimes it encodes in the lowest bitrate and I have to manually change it. On the highest setting I have no problems at all viewing the movies so I know that Netflix is just underestimating my connection speed.