Tivo and Virgin V+ box - does Tivo change channels correctly?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by childe, Feb 2, 2011.

1. childe

childe Tivoer since 11/2000

Jan 22, 2001
    Leeds, UK

Advertisements

I will be soon be replacing my existing standard Virgin STB with my V+ box (currently in a different room).

Tivo is able to control the standard STB (via Tivo's built in infrared emitter) with few problems.

I want to continue using my Tivo as my main TV interface and recording device, but I am concerned that it won't be able to properly control the V+ box. Will I need to dig out the Tivo IR emitters or will the built in emitter still work OK.

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks

2. ptruman

ptruman New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    I have the V+ HD box (soon to upgrade to Tivo HD) and you don't need the cable/irda converter - just the emitters. It's a bit slow changing channels, and you learn V quick not to press anything else on the remote whilst it's changing channels (else it stalls the change) but it does work.

3. childe

Jan 22, 2001
    Leeds, UK
    Thanks - sounds like it will be OK.

So is it OK for automatically controlling the V+ box , for recordings (as opposed to manual channel changing, which I know can be a problem)? That's all I will need it to do.

Thanks

4. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    I have a TiVo controlling a V+ box here with no problems.

5. childe

Jan 22, 2001
    Leeds, UK

Advertisements

Thanks Ozsat

The V+ has 3 tuners, allowing 2 channels to be recorded whilst a third is watched live.

Is the V+ able to continue recording 2 channels whilst the Tivo records the third (live) channel? This would be useful for any HD content I might want to record and watch via the V+ box, as I presume there would be little point recording HD content to watch via Tivo.

6. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Yes, TiVo users the third V+ tuner to record to record from while V+ users the other 2 tuners for itself.

7. childe

Jan 22, 2001
    Leeds, UK
    Brilliant! Just what I hoped for, thanks.