TiVO and upcoming channel changes in Boston area

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by hybucket, Nov 23, 2016.

1. hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    Just wondering out loud how Comcast will deal with major NBC Boston affiliate change come December 1 (when the new channels will start appearing) and again on Jan 1. NBC programming will move to 810, displacing NECN to a lower unused channel, and adding COZI TV to another new unused channel (935). The way the Guide has been screwing up listings lately, I can't imagine their provider being timely in getting the changes to the guide. It's bad enough having to change most of the NBC One-Passes to the new channel, but if it's not even listed in the guide, this could be a disaster. Always thinking negatively...that's me.

2. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    From the card I got in the mail, the channels all go active 12/1, but the programming doesn't switch until 1/1. Here's hoping they can get their act together in a month.

-Kevin

3. hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    Correct. On December 1, channel 810 will become NBC Boston, and run some local (but not any NBC) programming as sort of a "dry run," from what I discern. NECN, which had been on 810, will relocate on 840 (I believe) on that same date, as well as 835 becoming COZI. As far as the NBC programming goes, yes, they have a month to get their act together, but experience with their handling the changes of channel allocations (for example, when they moved ch. 5 and 25 sub-stations from the 200s to the 900s) is not a good sign.

4. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    So what's now 807 will be 810. Any other changes. I don't care about NECN. What's going on 807?

5. hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    The NBC programming now on 807 will move to new channel 810, which will become the over-the-air channel 8.1. 807 will remain WHDH, but become an independent station with no network affiliation. They'll run mostly news, separated occasionally by such fine top notch shows as Family Feud and Extra. 810 will officially be called NBC Boston, with call letters WBTS and/or WNEU (a long story, details of which can be found by Googling either set of call letters). NECN is also owned by NBC, but will run separate programming.

6. bbrown9

bbrown9 Active Member TCF Club

Mar 12, 2011
    What about FIOS in the Boston area. Is this change affecting the FIOS lineup?

7. hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    It affects all platforms, over the air, cable and satellite .

8. bbrown9

Mar 12, 2011
    I have heard nothing about it before reading this thread.

9. hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    Many articles in boston globe and herald. Stories on all local newscasts and on NECN. Scross occasionally at bottom of screen. And snail mail notices from cable companies . Google it.

10. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
  11. bbrown9

Mar 12, 2011
    I don't read the newspapers. I have seen no scrolls and have received no mail (snail mail or email) about it from Verizon.

12. hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    And, apparently, don't watch much TV.
    Sorry...Couldn't resist .

tampa8 likes this.
  13. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    Lol

14. hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    UPDATE: Today, in Boston Comcast, the lineup changed. As expected, TiVO's guide does not reflect the changes. It does pick up the new channels 840 and 935, but has no guide info. I called TiVO, just to put in my 2-cents, and the CSR had no clue what I was talking about and told me to do a guided setup and, like an idiot, I did. Of course, it was useless and took up a half hour of my time. I called back and got someone who said he'd report it, which is exactly what the first CSR should have done. I was off the phone in 5 minutes. He said that, with the new guide supplier, there are THOUSANDS of these guide screwups, so I shouldn't expect a correction for a while.

15. BarnB

BarnB New Member

Jul 11, 2013
    I can't even check. My tivo screen says Installing update. This will take a few minutes. Has taken quite a few minutes so far. Anyone else get updated today????? As in system update?

16. hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    TiVO updated their guide last night...but the only thing they got right was moving NECN from 810 to 840, The info screen and guide for 810 now lists the program info for Telemundo, not NBC Boston. There continues to be no guide info for COZI on 935, No big deal at the moment, but will be if it's not fixed by the time 810 becomes the NBC affiliate in the Boston market.

17. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Sadly, this is still not fixed. I submitted a lineup issue a few weeks ago. Wonder if they will get this fixed before it makes the switch?

-Kevin

18. bbrown9

Mar 12, 2011
    I see that it will be on channel 516 (HD) and 16 (SD) on FIOS. The change is not yet showing up in the TiVo guide. In fact, the guide seems like it's stuck not going past 12/27.

EDIT: And I still have heard NOTHING from FIOS about this upcoming change.

19. hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    I'm on Comcast in Boston, and TiVO seems to be making changes daily, not getting any of them exactly right. 18 days into the channel changes and they are still pretty much clueless on how to implement the three channel changes. As of the last update that I got yesterday, they finally had NBC Boston listed correctly on 810, NECN correctly on 840, and the correct call-letter designation for 935 but no listings for that channel (which is COZI TV). Maybe today's update will include the listings. There are, however, in ALL the listings, several TBAs for future days programming and has been like this ever since the Rovi takeover. As annoying as Comcast's DVRs can be, their listings have been correct for the Boston changes since day 1, and, since this was not a "sudden" thing, TiVO should have been prepared for this well in advance. They now have 13 days to get it right.

20. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I am a little concerned now that TiVo/Rovi may not have this transition down right. So the Guide Data for Comcast 810 is WBTS-LD2. Right now, based on the WBTS listings (Boston Listings), LD-2, or subchannel 8.2, is Telemundo. That would explain the Spanish listings in my guide data as it looks like 810 is attached to WBTS-LD2. And given that current factoid, it "makes sense" that, for instance, on Sunday night of NYD, at 8pm you don't see football, you see "RĂ¡pido y furioso: Reto en Tokyo".

They really need to get this fixed now, and not ON 1/1 as there are recordings I would like to schedule now that I cannot (like Sunday night football). That being said, assuming 810 will/is being "fed" the right channel (and it's just guide that is screwed up), I should be able to do a manual recording. But, really, come on TiVo/Rovi let's get this right please.