Tivo and Undelete!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TivoGirlP608, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Jan 6, 2006 #1 of 37
    TivoGirlP608

TivoGirlP608 New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Does tivo have plans to make an undelete button?
    Or maybe a password protected lock so no one can delete your shows?
    Or is there a way I do not know about to undelete my shows?
    I am so tired of turning on tivo and my shows are gone. I hear un oh,, from the hubby,,, Its happened over and over and over.
    I never suffered from Road rage, but I swear its unleashed a new rage in me and I am calling it TivoRage!
    We have 2 Tivo's in the household I thought one for me and one for hubby, but he has a delete problem,,,,, I swear he just likes the sound or the power of the control of tivo.
    You know I was thinking maybe a log in like Windows were you could log into your own profile and see only shows you record? that way you could have control over your programs only : )
    Anyone else suffer with this problem??

2. Jan 6, 2006 #2 of 37
    megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Heh - you need to train hubby. Hide the remote to your TiVo. :)

Unfortunately there is no undelete at this time, and no announced plans for it.

3. Jan 6, 2006 #3 of 37
    Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    The word "hack" tends to elicit feelings of inadequacy.

Hacking a Tivo is very easy if you're willing to devote a little (I would claim entertaining) time.

Once hacked, undeleting is easy. I would call it an essential Tivo function that no Tivo user should be without.

4. Jan 6, 2006 #4 of 37
    mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA
    A Trash Can/Recycle Bin would be a nice feature. That way one could undelete things that are inadvertently, deleted by TIVO.

But i guess sitting in this "folder" the shows would still be taking up the same amount of space?

5. Jan 6, 2006 #5 of 37
    dmdeane

dmdeane sedentary adventurer

Apr 17, 2000
    North...
    Deleted shows take up the same amount of space no matter what, whether TiVo, Inc. ever adds an "undelete" or a "recycle bin" feature or not. When we delete shows now, it isn't actually deleted until later when TiVo needs to overwrite the diskspace with new content. Until then, it is recoverable - currently, only via hacks.

However, if TiVo itself deletes the show, it is because it needed the space, so it writes over the oldest show that isn't protected. So undelete only protects you against accidental deletion by yourself or someone else using the TiVo; it does not protect against deletion by TiVo when space runs out, nor would undelete work past a certain period of time, since TiVo will overwrite the deleted show sooner or later, depending on how full your hard drive is and how often your TiVo is recording new shows. The undelete feature would only save you when you realized your mistake pretty quickly; it wouldn't save a show that you or someone else accidently deleted a few days ago (unless your disk is empty or you record very few shows per day).

I've no idea why TiVo still refuses to implement this feature. It's a nobrainer and we know TiVo actually did develop software versions of this which were never released, so it's not like they haven't thought about it. It's just not a priority for them for some reason; must be one of those "design philosophy" type things or internal politics.

Search this forum's archives; this request for "undelete" comes up a lot. Obviously there is pentup demand for it. Maybe TiVo will start making more and more (all?) of TiVo's API's available for HME development, and then we "power users" could finally have our own undelete apps or scripts written up by users or third party developers - assuming this hasn't already been done? I don't keep current with what is going on in the hacker and HME communities; once I had multiple TiVos with lots of hard drive space, I just forced myself to get out of the habit of deleting shows after I was done watching them. Now I just watch my shows, and let them be deleted automatically later by TiVo when TiVo needs the space for new shows. This solves my problem, but doesn't help someone who has to share TiVos with someone who deletes things before they should.

6. Jan 6, 2006 #6 of 37
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Is this the other side of the "wife won't delete shows" thread??

(No, but that's the first thing I thought of.)

7. Jan 6, 2006 #7 of 37
    TiVoPhish

TiVoPhish New Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    LOL I'm the wife that WILL delete shows that go unwatched too long... hubby has learned that if he records something he better watch it within 2-3 weeks or I'm going to start bugging him about watching it so I can delete it. I have this "thing" about too much clutter on the TiVo, LOL

A recycle bin would be nice, but would really only work for someone who doesn't record a LOT of shows... when files are deleted they could be moved there and marked as lowest priority and be overwritten only as necessary... but if you record a lot of stuff you're just not going to have the space to maintain those files for very long.

8. Jan 7, 2006 #8 of 37
    Test

Test Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2004
    TIVO ....... tv her way? the trash can would be great, plus delete folders or pw protect folders...im sure it was all mentioned before

9. Jan 7, 2006 #9 of 37
    Fraser+Dief

Fraser+Dief New Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Otttawa, Canada
    No, not quite. It would also be useful for the accidental delete, I've done this repeatedly over the first month I've owned mine.

95% of the time I watch something, I respond Delete Now when it prompts at the end of the show. So, a few times when I actually wanted to keep it, I responded Delete Now, simply through habit.

A Recently Deleted folder would be quite handy.

10. dmdeane

Apr 17, 2000
    North...
    Yes, I did the exact same thing (until I had multiple TiVos and larger hard drives). When you get in the habit of deleting a show after you have watched it, it is perilously easy to accidently delete a show out of habit after you have watched it, forgetting that you planned to save that particular show for some reason. I did this several times before I stopped deleting entirely. Having an undelete feature or recycle bin would have been nice to have.

11. dmdeane

Apr 17, 2000
    North...
    How can there be "clutter" on a TiVo? It's not like cleaning house; dust and grime does not build up if you don't "clean" every day. Why not trust TiVo to delete old shows when it needs the space? The whole idea of TiVo is to decrease your chores, not to increase them!

Hmmm. This must be one of those "things" which explains why I am still a batchelor! :p

12. Gregor

Gregor save the princess save the world TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    Hmm, why not go buy a big disk and upgrade the Tivo?

13. Philly Bill

Philly Bill Everyday is Saturday

Oct 6, 2004
    Rotonda...
    Just get another TIVO. His & Hers...

14. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    It's amazing that hackers on this site provide more of the no-brainer features that TiVo just simply will not. Do they really believe that more people want to watch shows on their PSP than want to undelete an accidental recording? It makes no sense whatsoever that they would hold back this very simple and wanted feature.

TiVoWeb has been out for several years and is way more powerful and useful than the geniuses at TiVo either can or will provide. If there is a valid reason not to provide it, I would love to hear it.

15. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Ah, but there can be clutter... we like deleting shows we've watched so that the only shows in the folders are unwatched ones! Otherwise, we'd be forever wondering--"Did we watch that already?" and having to start playing it to figure it out.

And, alas, for the suggestions of His and Her TiVos, the OP has exactly that, along with a husband who has a delete problem! So that doesn't solve things, either!

I hadn't heard before that TiVo had implemented an undelete just not released it. If true, they really should be ashamed of themselves. It's such a key missing and often requested feature. And would certainly help out lots of us who inadvertently delete shows. (For example, see another thread, where I discovered AFTER deleting a show that it hadn't transfered fully to the other TiVo (even though it showed that it had and had gone on to start transfering another show inthe queue). With undelete, I wouldn't have lost out on a show we really wanted to watch-- and we'd be back in business in no time!

16. dmdeane

Apr 17, 2000
    North...
    That's why you read the show description and the recording date; it's pretty simple to figure out whether you've watched it or not. I never get confused by the "clutter" in my TiVo folders; I simply scan for new recordings by their recording date. Of course, if TiVo added some kind of color shading (like on your web browser that shows you if you've clicked on the link recently or not) to indicate whether the show had been watched before or not, that might help. Add that idea to the list.
    IIRC, several years ago someone posted some screen shots of possible "undelete" solutions but I don't remember the details. These were actual ideas TiVo did look into but decided not to implement for some reason.
    Back when Firefly was first airing on Fox (burn in hell, Fox!) I was going to dump the episodes to tape after watching them, so as to share the show with a friend, but when the first episode aired (The Train Job) I watched it, and without thinking deleted it when it was over. D'oh! I really could have used undelete back then. I was careful not to make that mistake with the other Firefly episodes, but the damage was done. Once disk space ceased to be an issue to me, I simply stopped deleting anything.

I suspect we'll be seeing undelete eventually, either from TiVo or from the HME folks. I certainly hope so anyway.

17. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Really great idea... the shading if a show has been watched... would be a great visual. That way another viewer (he or she) would know whether deleting was in order or not.

Yeah, the recording date and the show description could work for telling if something had been watched before... but we watch a lot of different stuff and certainly don't pay any attention to the air date of what we've watched! And for several of the shows we record (Monarch of the Glen, Stargate, etc.) the descriptions are wrong anyway, so they cannot be trusted!

We run into the problem in spades on the DVD archives we have... have to use a stick 'em note and tick marks to know where we are... which of the 6 Numbers shows have we watched?

I feel your pain on the Firefly deletion... and agree with your shame on Fox! Have you seen the movie? We haven't so don't tell us if Spock dies or not, but did you like it?

18. mike3775

mike3775 Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Just hook the Tivo into the home network and transfer all the shows to the PC. Thats what I do. Before I watch any shows, I transfer them to my PC. That way I can watch them and then delete them from my Tivo, but I still have the episode as well.

19. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    Serenity was a good movie.

The idea of shading, marking or other ways to denote a show has been watched has been around as long as requests for undelete. A better solution is user icons that you could assign to certain family members. If there's a frog by it it means that I've watched it, a racecar my son has watched it etc....

The only difference is that this isn't a feature that the hackers provided several years ago so I'm willing to accept that it may be more complex. Undelete however has been done and provided through other means. TiVo is either too stupid to realize the feature is really wanted, or too lazy to implement it. I can't think of any other reason why it isn't there.

It's a sad and sorry shame that the hackers here are able to do more than the company itself. TiVo2go has been around now for a year or so and is still woefully inadequate when compared to Tytools. Am I supposed to believe that they are incapable? I can't, so I can only assume they are unwilling.

20. dmdeane

Apr 17, 2000
    North...
    I absolutely loved the Serenity movie. One of the best movies I watched last year; easily the best science fiction movie of last year. If you liked Firefly you'll love Serenity (except for that nagging feeling of loss about what "could have been" with the Firefly TV series).

You'll probably want to watch the Serenity DVD soon, though, before someone blabs or you accidently stumble upon a spoiler here or elsewhere on the web. Yes, "Spock(s) die(s)", so you'll want to see it as soon as you can before someone spoilerizes it for you.

As to undelete and other features....my hope is that TiVo opens up more and more TiVo functionality to the HME community, that way the "hackers" can develop their own HME applications that do everything we "power users" want, without intefering with TiVo's desire to keep the TiVo UI "simple" for new users. That's probably the excuse for TiVo not having undelete: they don't want to "confuse" new users. I think there's room to keep both newbies and power users happy, though. I hope TiVo understands this.