TIVO and satellite future compatibilty is in question?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by SCIFI 3D zoo, Oct 4, 2007.

1. SCIFI 3D zoo

SCIFI 3D zoo New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    I'm thinking about going from Comcast to DISH and I noticed tonight only the $99 TIVO box is "compatible" with satellite... and on top of that it has a feature called "optimized for cable".

Another thing... I know this has nothing to do with TIVO and doesn't help their cause... I heard DirecTV boxes can actuallly export recordings to a pc now. That's one of the only reasons I'm not just using somebody elses DVR.

Also... if my current TIVO isn't broke (80hour Series 2 TIVO brand from a couple years ago) I'm assuming it will work with satellite... but what about the future? Sounds like there are serious satellite support issues.

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The "TiVoHD" and "TiVo Series 3" boxes do not support satellite - cable and off-the-air only. If you want to use a standalone TiVo with satellite, then either the single-tuner or dual-tuner standard-definition models are your choices. Your current TiVo will continue to work with a separate satellite receiver.

DirecTV boxes cannot yet export to a PC. That is still a "future".

3. SCIFI 3D zoo

SCIFI 3D zoo New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Oh yea you're right. The $99 tivo is not HD. I thought it was. I guess I don't really need HD on my TIVO just to make everything work. I'm not sure if my TIVO hdd is fried or not yet. But if I need to get a new one at least I know what to get now. I'd kinda like a DT anyway.

I wonder... how does a dual-tuner TIVO with with a DT sat. box? You have to split your coax up and have separate cables going into 4 diff. plugs?

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    A Dual-Tuner TiVo can support just a single satellite receiver. The second input can be used for analog unscrambled cable only.

I do not know of any dual-tuner sat boxes that are not themselves DVRs. For those that a TiVo can control, you have access to one tuner only.

5. SCIFI 3D zoo

SCIFI 3D zoo New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Yea... DISH at least... LINK

Do you know how it works? You have to have a bunch of coax cables going in ... or just one IN and two OUT?

I wouldn't be able to control the 2nd sat. tuner anyway. They want to save money on boxes and run the 2nd tuner to another room. Saves me money too and with a DVR gives that 2nd tv it's own tuner and access to recordings from both tv's. So it has some advantages.