Tivo and Plex - Flinging not allowed?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by MatthewGear, Dec 24, 2016.

1. MatthewGear

MatthewGear New Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Hello All,
    I have a Bolt and I'm a little confused about being able to fling content from one device to another.
    According to the Plex website It's supported on Tivo:

TiVo Media Server | TiVo Media Streaming | Plex

However, when I attempt to do this, I get a little red error on the Tivo API saying that an error occurred, nothing more.

I called support and asked them, and they said that it's not supported and will never be because of DRM.
    I find this hard to believe since they are allowing me to play any DRM content I want from the main Tivo interface (of Plex).
    So my question to all of you out there is:
    If you have Plex and Tivo Bolt, can you sling/fling your content from your Plex to your Bolt?
    I do have both devices in the same network broadcast domain, and I do have the plex API open on the Tivo when I attempt this. I've tried Android and IOS devices with no change in behavior. I can sling/fling to any other device in my environment, no problem...Just seems to be a symptom of the Tivo
    Any input would be appreciated. thanks!

2. SlackBlade

SlackBlade New Member

Nov 23, 2016
    I watch Plex on my Bolt all of the time. I have a Netgear ReadyNAS running Plex, and have no issues watching Plex.

If I want to watch anything off the Bolt, I use the Tivo app or Tivo Online.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

3. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    I just successfully did a fling from my Android phone (for content stored on my Plex server) to my Roamio. I had to select "Allow insecure connections -> On same network" from advanced settings on both devices before they could see each other, I also had to have Plex already open on the TiVo since it won't launch Plex on demand.

But then I tried again a couple minutes later for content stored on the Android phone and it never responded so I switched back over to the Plex server content and am now seeing "Sorry there was an error playing this item"

--insert long rant about why I quit using Plex, etc etc--

MatthewGear likes this.
  4. MatthewGear

MatthewGear New Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Thank you both for the replies. Cybergrimes, Yes, this is what I'm trying to accomplish- I understand the need to have the app open up already on Tivo. I will check those settings in Plex and see what happens. Greatly appreciate the guidance. If I can just get the content to come up on the ANdroid, and sling to the Tivo, with the raw source being Plex, I would be happy. My main want is so I can bring up Tivo, and use the my Andoroid phone as a "remote" per se' to be able to bring up different music while I'm working during the day at home (My Tivo is connected to my main audio system and want to use that for the music)

5. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    Makes perfect sense to me! I have an old Squeezebox device hooked up to my main audio system and use "Orange Squeeze" + "Squeeze Player" on Android phone to control/play music from Logitech Media Server on several Squeezebox devices around the house but I had bought into the Squeezebox ecosystem years before Plex and the likes were around.

Good luck!

6. MatthewGear

MatthewGear New Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Thank you cybergrimes! Your suggestion of changing the security levels worked like a champ! Thank you again for taking the time to write about your configuration!

cybergrimes likes this.