TiVo and Pace announce global partnership

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by steveroe, Feb 23, 2012.

1. steveroe

steveroe Must do some work...

Oct 29, 2002
    Oxford, UK

Advertisements

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?id=4321

... and presumably not in the UK at all until the Virgin Exclusive deal expires :thumbsdown:

(US thread here)

2. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Could just mean you'll get a Pace box when you sign up with Virgin.

3. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Interesting - thanks Steve.

One of the longest established comms companies. I don't know if they consider themselves a UK or US company these days (UK revenues down 32% last year), but their worldwide HQ is in Bradford. I can certainly see they would want a slice of the UK market if possible.

As TCM says that could simply be producing the boxes for Virgin (but they could do that already so they're not leveraging the TiVo deal if that's all they do).

Or perhaps they could try and target the "forgotten 49%" - people who can't and never will get Virgin Media. (subject to whatever the Virgin "exclusive" agreement means of course).

Well I can dream can't I? ;)

4. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    The current box is IIRC a Scientific Atlantadevice.

5. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK

Advertisements

(Yes I wasn't suggesting that they currently supply the current VM box - but they could offer themselves to VM as an alternative supplier as you suggest. However they wouldn't need a partnership with TiVo to be able to do that).

6. MarkE19

MarkE19 New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    London
  7. DX30

DX30 New Member

May 22, 2005
    Have you seen something other than the DTG article? From that the partnership seems pretty limited.

"Pace has licensed TiVo's Hardware Porting Kit and will work with TiVo to build a TiVo-verified platform which will provide operators licensing the TiVo solution the choice of utilising Pace set-top boxes and gateways."

It seems to be a deal for a cable operator that wants Pace to supply the hardware and TiVo to supply the software. To me it doesn't really suggest anything more significant.