Tivo and Network Connectivity

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by h2oskierc, Jan 13, 2011.

1. h2oskierc

h2oskierc I'm a 2-Tuner

Dec 16, 2010
    Minnesnowta

Advertisements

My Premiere seems to be constantly losing its network connectivity. At first the connectivity was fine. I had no issues until about a week ago.

Now I frequently get the no network connection message in the bar at the top, and I haven't been able to get a succesful recording transfer to my computer.

The TiVo is connected to my router via Cat 5, and my computer connects to the same router via wireless N.

I have no issues on my computer with downloads. What things can I check?

Thanks!

Chris

2. TVCricket

TVCricket HDUI

Mar 7, 2010
    Look into when your DHCP lease renews. It should be somewhere in your router setting. It will be labeled in minutes. 1440 is 24 hours. Try setting it for 7 days (10,080 minutes) or more.

3. kingkong316

kingkong316 New Member

Jul 12, 2008
    I don't know mine has been losing connectivity a lot too recently and my menu's have been slow. But, once I can't actually get there, I can get onto Netflix stream HD and never lose connection while watching.

4. rondotcom

rondotcom I Like To Watch

Feb 12, 2005
    I, too, have noticed connectivity problems. I also agree it holds steady for Netflix streaming and Streambaby streaming. Leads me to wonder if there really are connectivity probs or if TiVo just THINKS there are....

5. jdaniels1982

jdaniels1982 New Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Long Island, NY

Advertisements

I have noticed the same issues in the last couple of weeks. My tivo will say "no internet connection", yet it will still download podcasts that were scheduled.

Really annoying because the Tivo Premiere won't even let you search for new programs when it doesn't have a connection.

Could this have anything to do with the 14.7 software release? I got it about 2 weeks ago. :confused:

6. jwagner010

jwagner010 Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Started having this problem immediately after 14.7 upgrade.

7. 1999cobra

1999cobra I HATE Vermont

Nov 9, 2005
    NC -...
    If at all possible run a LAN and gas the wireless - just less hassles in my opinion:up:

8. h2oskierc

h2oskierc I'm a 2-Tuner

Dec 16, 2010
    Minnesnowta
    Mine is currently set at Forever. Hmm. Maybe it has something to do with the update. I guess I didn't notice it update though.

9. dan_isaacs

dan_isaacs Posterus Minimus

Dec 12, 2002
    RTP, NC
    This has been happening to me as well, just the last two weeks or so. I run gigabit Ethernet and I use static IPs on my network, so DHCP isn't an issue. The odd part is that it will still connect and download guide updates etc.. from Tivo, so the network*is* working. There is just obviously something wrong with the new software. I reckon I'll try Tivo support.

- Dan

10. dan_isaacs

dan_isaacs Posterus Minimus

Dec 12, 2002
    RTP, NC
    whoa, been awhile since I logged in here, those aren't the Tivo I have now. :)

11. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    I have the same issue, the last few days, I guess since the software update. No network connection when I wake up in the morning. The TV connection has failed. I reset my wireless N adapter and everything is back to normal and Tivo Service connection is done manually afterwards. But I am not going to do this everyday.

I called Tivo tech support today, and they suggested I switch to SDUI for a day and test it. I did. Let us see until tomorrow.

12. timatkn

timatkn Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Just had the same issue today. Straight ethernet connection. Modem reset did not fix it. recording right now so can't reset the TIVO. Woops as I was typing it fixed itself. Will monitor.

T

13. timatkn

timatkn Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Happened again today. Woke up with the message internet not connected. TIVO update in the middle of the night failed. Forced the TIVO to connect and after the second try worked. No issues ever until this week. I'll have to call tech support if it keeps happening--so far been able to fix it myself but I don't want to have to keep doing this---keeps happening at times when I can't call them.

T

14. thyname

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    Yes, it keeps happening to me almost everyday now. I have called tech support several times. Have reset the Tivo wireless n adapter, restarted the box, etc. etc. It happens the next day again. Last night they had me call my Netgear router support. I did and opened all those 20+ port in the router. I happened again this morning: no connection. Error N17. This is getting silly. I am not going to deal with this every single day.

15. artielange

artielange New Member

May 24, 2010
    I'll join the club; I saw the notice for the first time last night on a hard wired connection. It self-corrected in 10 minutes or so. It only showed up after the 14.7 upgrade.

16. dmb4040

dmb4040 New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Sign me up for this problem too. It loses connection multiple times per day. Sometimes a Tivo reboot fixes it, sometimes not. Sometimes a wireless router reboot fixes it, sometimes not.

This is extremely annoying since your box is very limited without a network connection.

17. thyname

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    So, we all have the same problem with Tivo dropping the network connection, but when we call tivo (and trust me, I've done it several times talking to a different rep) they claim I am the first one to have this "very tough to diagnose" problem. What do we do now?

18. mlucek

mlucek New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Ditto here, same problem with a brand-new out of the box Premiere XL last nite.

Wired e-net hookup (works fine on 2 different computers), it immediately downloaded/installed the software update (I'm assuming it's 14.7). Can't connect to e-net consistently either automatically or manually. Get the long "Preparing to connect..." then a failure message.

PLUS, now my existing Series 2 can't connect either ???? This has been working just fine for the last 3+ years till this morning as I was setting up the XL.

Will call cust service later tonite and I'm sure I'll get the ole' run-around as others seems to be getting here. Blaming everything/-one except themselves.

TiVo folks, I hope you're listening .... THERE'S OBVIOUSLY A PROBLEM WHEN THIS MANY PEOPLE ARE HAVING THE SAME COMPLAINTS !

To be continued...

Mike

19. quercus

quercus New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Same problem here. Started about a week ago. Sometimes it resolves itself. Sometimes it requires a reboot of my TiVo which renders my entire system unusable about ten minutes. I've had to do four reboots today so far.

20. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    Add me to the list - applied 14.7 this AM and nothing but problems since. Funny thing is I didn't notice any problem with 14.7RC installed - kinda proves a theory that the baked release is not necessarily the same ans the pre-release.