Tivo and Firestick, help!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by cattwoman222, Apr 2, 2020.

1. cattwoman222

cattwoman222 New Member

Apr 2, 2020
    Hi all! I've had a TiVo Roamio OTA for almost 2 years now since cutting the cord. I also have a Firestick. I've always had to use both remotes. Our 13 year old plasma tv finally crapped the bed (tear... ) and we bought a Samsung Smart TV (NU6900).

I REALLY wanted to elimate the need for two remotes so I bought a Tablo as a DVR and guide. The Samsung remote controls the Tablo (it's done wirelessly through an app that Samsung supports, not hardwired with an HDMI cable like the TiVo) AND the Firestick so alas, I have one remote. BUT....

I miss my TiVo! The peanut shaped remote was awesome. It actually FEELS nice in your hand and is heavy so you feel like you're actually HOLDING something substantial (and not getting lost in the recliner like the new TV remotes and that darn Firestick!). AND I HATE the Tablo. The guide sucks, it's slow as heck and it requires a separate hard drive to record. And you only get a 24 hour guide if you don't pay for the service. (My TiVo has a lifetime membership).

I know the TiVo has Netflix, Hulu, and Prime, but it's doesn't have Philo which I watch all the time. I need the Firestick for that. And the Firestick just runs the other three apps I mentioned way better than the TiVo for some reason. But for live TV and DVR, I just loved that darn TiVo.

So....thoughts? Is there ANY way to make the TiVo remote run my Firestick like the Samsung can? If it could do that, I'd be golden. I could ditch that damn small Firestick AND the flimsy Samsung remote. Oh and while yes, the TV is a Smart TV, same deal, no Philo.

Edited to add: I know I could get a Harmony Hub remote to control both the TiVo and the Firestick, but I REALLY LOVE THAT DARN TIVO REMOTE!

Thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  2. vaquero

vaquero Active Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Two words............Logitech Harmony

Teavo likes this.
  3. Teavo

Teavo Active Member

Feb 11, 2020
    100% on getting Harmony remote.

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Probably won't work the Firestick, will it?

-KP

5. Teavo

Teavo Active Member

Feb 11, 2020
    mine does. Ultimate One version.

6. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
  7. cattwoman222

cattwoman222 New Member

Apr 2, 2020
    Ah crap.....I knew I should have said that. That was option 3....using a Harmony Hub remote (the regular IR won't control the Firestick), but again....my issue is....I LOVE the TiVo remote. Does anyone have the Harmony Hub one and like it? Is it substantial? Meaning feels good in your hand and nice and heavy? Is it easy to use? I've been reading up on it and the whole "activity" thing sounds annoying and complicated.

8. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I have multiple Harmony's and like them plenty.

But, I keep the TiVo remote around, too...

-KP

9. Teavo

Teavo Active Member

Feb 11, 2020
    I have all my nin Harmony remotes in a drawer. I use my Harmony 100% of the time.