Tivo and Fios Set Top Box

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Lelayna, Sep 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Lelayna

Lelayna New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I don't know if this has been answered before, I'm sorry if it has. I did a search and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Anyway Fios is included in the rent where I live and I am unable to swap my set top box for DVR or cable card. I was wondering if there is a Tivo that is compatible with my set top box or are they for use with cable cards only?

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    You need a cable card to make it work with FIOS, the TiVo is a cable box that would replace your Verizon box. Sounds like you are probably stuck with your box.

3. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    A Series 2 TiVo might work "fed" by the box but it's SD.

4. rpj22

rpj22 Active Member

Mar 26, 2016
    SoCal
    I had a Series 2 that worked with a regular FIOS STB (I don't remember the exact Motorola model number) using the IR blaster. It worked pretty well, but I later switched to a DTA because it had fewer glitches, like the STB always turning itself off for no apparent reason.

5. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Can you add a box? Can you get a cablecard from fios? Call them and ask. They are pretty flexible.

6. amyf

amyf Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Central NJ
    Verizon told me that I had to have at least one of their boxes for several years. I kept pushing them for an answer as to why I needed their box and was finally told that I really didn't need to have that last box. I replaced it with a TiVo mini and have not had any issues. Just be careful that you get a receipt for anything that you return - they came after me for cable cards that had been returned 8 years ago that they somehow lost track of.

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The problem in this case may be that since it is included with the rent, there may be no individual account.

mattyro7878 likes this.
  8. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    If one doesn't want premium channels would an eBay purchased cable card work?

What about removing the cable card from the FiOS STB and putting that in a Tivo?

9. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    The purchased cable card will not work, period.
    Don't know if removing the cable card from an STB would work either as you would have to call and get the cable card re-paired with the new device which they will probably not do, and since removing the cablecard from their box could be considered as vandalism, destruction of their equipment etc., you could easily find yourself billed for the cost of the box and still have no working cable card.

10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Not sure how that works. Can the OP add services like premium channels or buy on demand? If so, it means the account is identified someway.

Worth a call to fios.