TIVO and FIOS AND Happily ever after? Help!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by barb1948, Sep 26, 2011.

1. barb1948

barb1948 Willing

Oct 14, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    I heard from a member today- Verbano_ who said I could have my Fios and Tivo with the hook-ups below. I posted previously "I miss my Tivo"so I would really like to know more about this and wonder if one of you smart, patient, helpful people could guide me through or send me to a link so I could put this together. My BIG question is how many HDTIVO's do i need to purchase to have 2 TVs be able to watch recorded HD shows with a tivo remote, and the monthly subscription for TIVO is? or the current Lifetime is? Or should I wait for Directv Tivo? Many thanks ....( I currently have Fios with free HDTV for at least 2 years with boxes in 3 rooms , Internet, Phone=$ 114 (basic/no sports)....
    Thank you....Barbara

vurbano

Tivo will work with FIOS
    TiVo Desktop, VideoReDord from a member--see be

2. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    You can have TiVo and Fios on the same TV, i do, You split the cable from the wall and run one to the FiOS DVR and one to the TiVo. Then run a HDMI cable or component cables from each unit to your TV.

To watch TV from one room to the other you will need a TiVo in each room. Its not fluid like the FiOS commercials show. You need to download a program from one TiVo to the other. You can start watching right away but again, its not fluid.

TiVo's picing is listed on their website. Lifetime i think for new subscribers is $499, they use to give a discount if you jumped on it within 30 days of starting TiVo service on a new TiVo, not sure if they still do. They have recently revamped their pricing structure. I dont like it!

Using FiOS or any cable company i think, you will neeed a cable card, a Mcard for the TiVo. Pricing varies per provider. FiOS charges $3.99 a month.

DirecTv is way more expensive compared to TiVo. Has DTV even released the DirecTv TiVo yet?

3. acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    I'm a little confused with what you are asking.

The Tivos that have cable card slots, like the Premier or Series 3, work great with Fios. There really isn't anything tricky.

I have a Series 3 with Fios that I have had up and running for years.

For two TVs, all you need are two Tivos, like your TivoHD or Premier, each with a cable card. Call up Fios and have them provision the cards. The cards will cost you $3.99 a month.

Tivo and Fios is one of the best mixes since you don't have to worry about switched video and the bit rates over Fios are pretty high.

I don't understand how DirectTV gets into the mix.

4. barb1948

barb1948 Willing

Oct 14, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    WELL YOU HAVE ALL HELPED IN THAT THE fIOS AND tIVO CAN WORK REALLY WELL.

I would need to buy 2 TIVOS... that's pricey-- but I guess if I want Tivo, have to do it. I (sold my old Tivo ST/series 2)

I still need Fios HD boxes for my 2 TV's, and ordering them with the cable card does what exactly...? Saves me money......How?
    thanks

5. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Well, most people say I am neither smart, patient, nor helpful, but I will give it a shot.

Well, there are a number of ways to skin this particular cat, depending on your needs. The simplest and most straightforward is to get two TiVos, one for each TV. You would probably want to have them networked so you can watch a show recorded on one from the other. This setup would allow you to simultaneously watch two different pre-recorded shows, record up to 4 new shows, and download possibly up to 2 additional shows from the internet or an external PC.

That's quite a chunk of video going on there.

If you don't feel you need to watch different shows simultaneously on your two TVs (and also don't feel the need to record 4 programs simultaneously), then splitting the output from one TiVo to two TVs will work. There are also quite a few different ways to do this. Be a bit more specific about your needs (distance between TVs, SD vs HD, HDMI vs. component video, etc), and we can dig deeper. For example, if you want to go with component video on one TV and HDMI on the other, and the two rooms are pretty close, you might be able to get away with using the component output from your TiVo on one TV and HDMI on the other with no splitter, at all. If it is a Premier with a slide remote, it will work through a wall or two. (You can buy a second slide remote.) If not, there are various IR repeater solutions out there.

That depends on the model. TiVo HDs are less expensive than Premiers. Used THDs, with or without Product Lifetime Service, are pretty easy to find on e-bay. A Multi-Service Discount applies for multiple TiVos, with or without PLS. Again, nail down your requirements a bit and we can be more specific.

6. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    No, not necessarily. It's the easiest way, and the most flexible and powerful, but not the only way if you are willing to accept some limitations. That ease, power, flexibility, and lack of limitations does cost $$.

No, not unless you either:

1. have four TVs

2. want to use Verizon's VOD services

3. want to split the feeds so you can watch something not on the TiVo on one TV while watching the TiVo on another, yet be able at another time to watch the TiVo on the first TV.

For two TVs without VOD, all you need is a pair of CableCards for a pair of TiVos. The TiVo requires a CableCard (each) to work. From your first post, I infer you have 3 TVs, so you probably want 1 Verizon STB and 2 TiVos + 2 M-Cards, or just one TiVo + 1 M-Card if you split the feed from the TiVo to two TVs. If one of your TVs is SD, you can possibly get away with using 3 outputs from the same TiVo, as long as you don't ever need to watch different things at the same time on more than 1 TV.

7. barb1948

barb1948 Willing

Oct 14, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Thanks to all... Here is the situation in my home...I love certain TV shows and its a part of my life I enjoy, so want to get this right for my set-up and cost.
    Leaves me more time to have fun away from home

1 HD tv is upstairs
    1 hd tv is downstairs
    I am capable of running cables, if it means a big savings.
    I only need to record 2 shows at same time
    Have to have lifetime, although the way I figure it, I'll be ahead of the game in 25 months....($499.99 divided by $19.99 per month = 25 month
    Need 2 Tivo Premiers, with just one with lifetime?
    VOD with Fios not important

thanks bd

8. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    You don't mention whether you need to be able to watch two different things on the two TVs at the same time, which is key. If not, you may be able to get away with only 1 TiVo. It also matters how long the projected cable runs will be. If the upstairs room is right above the downstairs room, then the distance is possibly less than 25ft. Altex Electronics sells standard 25ft HDMI cables for $45, but a 100ft cable will run about $190. Similarly, a 25ft component video cable costs $60, but that's the longest they sell. For distances longer than that, you will probably need an extender. HDMI over Cat5 / Cat6 extenders start at about $60 for a pair of units capable of going 30 meters (100ft) to about $180 for ones capable of sending about 60 meters (200 ft) over ordinary Category 5e cable. A pair of HD SlingBoxes might work for you, as well, but they are pretty pricey.

If you want to be able to watch one show from a TiVo upstairs and another from a TiVo downstairs at the same time, you'll need 2 TiVos. If you want to watch one show from a Tivo in eitehr location (but not both) and a live program from either, then 1 TiVo + 2 Verizon STBs will work. All of this excludes whatever you want on the 3rd TV.

9. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    that's a fine idea, but really, all of that effort in wiring to get a premiere signal to broadcast in a bedroom or a living rooms seems incredibly pricey, time consuming and limiting, in the sense, you won't be able to control it from the upstairs location. (at least as far as I can tell)

I don't know that much about a slingbox, but from what I know that may be the best idea if she had a way to access the slingbox from her upstairs TV. that way she could keep all her programing/recordings on her 1 premiere downstairs, and access it as she wants. Otherwise she's going to have to program/schedule her shows both upstairs and down - and then delete in both places, etc etc etc. quite annoying.

10. barb1948

barb1948 Willing

Oct 14, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    I will have to digest all this great information and take what I need from each post, unless somebody lives in Fairfield County, CT and wants to assist!? ($)

11. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    If she has a Premier with a slide remote (or two remotes for convenience), then the slide remote will control the TiVo downstairs from the bedroom upstairs, as long as the two are not too far away. Otherwise, she would need a $49 IR repeater, again, as long as the two rooms are not too far away. She could even save some money by getting one slide remote and one regular IR remote. The IR remote can be used in the same room with the Premier, and the slide remote in the other room.

12. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    If money is an issue. The FiOS DVR's 7232-2 or the Cisco box's honesty do a good job and with Verizons newest software release..once and if they get it fully deployed will also give you the ability to record 2 shows at the same time upstairs and downstairs and should pass the shows on either between them both. This will also give you On Demand from FiOS which has a lot of quazi free content depending on what you call free and how many movie channels you subscribe too. Each FIOS box (7232-2 or cisco box) have 500gig HDD's and can be expanded with the latest software release with external HDD's if 1 TB total isnt enough.
    That will save you forking out Lifetime service money to TiVo and also $3.99 per month x 2 for a cable card for each TiVo Premiere. TiVo is also coming out with a 4 tuner Premiere Elite..keep that in the back of your mind too.

Tivo on the other hand will give you a more reliable interface (SD menus, the HD meus although working are a bit buggy and even slow if your TiVo is doing a bunch of stuff at one time) and better guide information. Lifetime service could save you money in the long run over renting the FiOS DVR's IF you have no failure issues such as HDD's. The Premiere XL has a 1TB HDD but cost a lot more money upfront. The non XL Premiere can be had much cheaper upfront but has very limited recording capacity and will need to be upgraded to hold any volume of content..again adding to the cost of the TiVo.

I love both my Premiere and TiVo HD but the FiOS DVR i have does a nice job too, true is aint no TiVo but its come a long way and while TiVo seems stagnant FiOS seem to to be moiving forward, if only to catch TiVo is arguable.

13. barb1948

barb1948 Willing

Oct 14, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Great Information Joe. Thank you.

14. barb1948

barb1948 Willing

Oct 14, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    I have a very good deal with Fios right now and I have d vr, records 2 sows, can watch in any room, and lots of space for recordings. BUT
    It does not accou nt for llive shows that run over time.
    It's not easy to FF and then stop where you want.. althought I am getting better at it..I hate the guide, but the set up I have now is saving me a lot of money.. So i think I'll just wait and see who comes out with what next year, but thanks for the info. Your post was very understandable.