Tivo and early morning shows.

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by cjanderson, Apr 12, 2011.

1. cjanderson

cjanderson New Member

Nov 16, 2002
    I swapped my old pace box for a virgin HD box recently. All works fine and it actually changes channel 100% of the time now.

However one issue remains. It occasionally turns over to a tv show and virgin displays a "this channel isn't available at present" menu screen, which needs an OK to close.

So that show is not watchable due to a large banner and it won't change channels for later shows, until i use the virgin remote to press OK.

It usually occured on Dave, so i removed that one from the channels i receive. However i realise it does it for say something recorded at 6am on E4, as it must turn over slightly before E4 comes to life.

Only solution seems to be to turn off all suggestions AND check all recordings for anything thats at the start of a channels day (though that could be 7pm for say BBC3) but thats a lot of work.

Or is there anyway of removing the PRESS OK messages on the virgin box?

2. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    There is (AFAIK) no way to remove that message with Tivo itself. You might be able to hack Tivo to send OK before each channel change/regularly but I never found a way to do that.
    When I had cable I used a digital mains timer to turn the cable STB off at around 5.56am and back on again at 5.57am.
    That gave it a reset which helped with channel changing speed and meant the worst I lost was a day of recordings. You could in theory do it more frequently but you run the risk of hitting programmes you are recording.

3. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Selecting "send enter after channel change" in the IR menu should fix that (at least for the next recording).

Putting the STB on a timer switch like that is a good idea too - especially if its one that freezes up occasionally.

4. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    Should do but doesn't/didn't when I was using a Pace Telewest box. IIRC the enter key wasn't in the cable control codes database according to a someone in the know - might have been GaryS?