Tivo and dual tuner - would cable card ready tv help?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by DianaMo, Jan 26, 2006.

1. DianaMo

DianaMo Cubs fan

Oct 22, 2003
    I have cable tv service with the dual tuner HDTV pvr.

However, it doesn't offer Tivo's keyword search capabilities, so I want to use the Tivo box too. (Cable pvr also fails to record shows at times. Seemingly based on how much I want to see the program. It failed to record the SAME EPISODE of ER twice this past year. Imagine that. Now I'll never know if the nurse from Freaks and Geeks found her son.

We're tried hooking up the Tivo to the cable pvr, but it ends up a bit of a randomizer and it gets confusing. I tried ordering a digital cable box from the local cable dudes (no pvr, just the box) and they no longer carry the cheaper one, so it's almost $8 / month just for the box. No thanks.

The cable lady mentioned that there is a new tv feature called a cable card ready tv that uses a credit card shaped recepticle in the back of the tv to determine what channels the tv should receive and bypass the need for a cable box.

Is this a possible solution and can this item become available for use on a Tivo?

Thanks!

2. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Yes, the Series 3 TiVo, expected this year is dual tuner and cablecard-based.

For something like ER, which is probably on an analog channel, you could split the cable before the cable PVR and use your current TiVo on the split, using the TiVo's built-in analog cable tuner. This would prevent it from "randomizing" your cable PVR.

3. DianaMo

DianaMo Cubs fan

Oct 22, 2003
    I've done that, but then you only get the tv listings for the analog cable and I wanted the search capabilities of the Tivo for digital cable too.

I had the cable pvr set to record ER in HD, but it didn't work each time that one episode aired. The most recent time it recorded the first minute or two and that was all. Then a black screen for the rest of the time.

Sometimes when I tried to record the Fugitive or the Call for Help show, it would just record a black screen for the hour. It is an intermittant problem. We're thinking there is a bad sector on the disk. I've been thinking of recording tv in 5 minute segments to fill up the hard drive and see if I can find the bad sector and then lock it so it can't be recorded on again.

FWIW, I get the same problem watching Cubs games on ESPN in HD, but I can't see why ER would be blacked out. (Can't see why the Cubs game should be either though.)

Thanks for the info on the upcoming Tivo feature.

I wonder if an ala-carte / freestanding cable card ready device could be made for those of us who already have a Tivo or two???

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You could still use a CC equipped TV for direct viewing and a normal (non-DVR) cable box from the TiVo to record from.

I haven't heard of any CC capable standalone tuners fro third parties.